help identifying Bond London tall clock brass dial with bell

Mike Brown

Dec 13, 2019
Country
Hi all,
I've searched the forums and the web, and find lots of info about clocks and watches from Bond Street in London, but nothing about Bond as a clockmaker. I'm working on a clock that has Bond London on the badge on the dial. Can anyone shed light on whether Bond is the actual maker, and when this clock might have been made? The circular pallets seem unusual (at least to me) - the falseplate is Osborne. I've seen many other brass dials that are close to identical, but with different names on the badge. The brass castings and even the arbors have inclusions and rough spots, I'm guessing it's mid to late 1700's?

Thanks in advance for your help! Mike movement front with bell.jpg falseplate.jpg dial front.jpg Dial back.jpg deadbeat pallets.jpg case.jpg bonnet.jpg movement front.jpg

Alex K

Jun 20, 2020
Country
Mike hello,

I am not sure if falsepannel is normal for 18th century, but I did not see much of them.
Graham escapement looks very well done. I think it is more common to mid 19 century. Also some details which is visible on pictures looks strange - cubic hammer, calendar style... was that on 18 cetntury -seems no. Central part of dial matting not usual. Dial holes with inlaid. London clocks must be more standartized in that times and here we see a lot of "improvements".
Case design... not 18 cenruty also.
Also badge coud belong not to this dial, much more shining, seems covered by nikel or chrome, I am no sure you see better...

My idea is that could be old dial (or parts of it) from 18th century reused with 19th century movement.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
All sorts of things look wrong on that I'm afraid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
caddafee
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff