Help Identifying Antique Seth Thomas Clock

TexasRed

Oct 15, 2010
Hello everyone. Brand newbie here. And beyond uneducated on antique clocks. I inherited this clock from my Mom several years ago. It had been boxed up in their attic for years. It is my understanding from other maternal relatives that this was the "family" clock that was given to my Mom's family by their grandfather. It still runs just fine after testing it out today.

There are no numerical markings on either the back nor bottom of this clock. I have no idea if it’s a kitchen, parlor, gingerbread, etc. – now that I know what all those terms mean. :D

I searched the internet from just about end-to-end & have yet to see another ST with the wood pattern that this one has. IMHO it looks to be either an Aztec or Mayan winged – head on the uppermost portion of the woodwork.

It is 24 ¾ in tall and 15 ¾ in wide. It has an 8 ¼ stamping on the movement assembly. It also has the trademark ST inside a diamond shape, inside a circle with the words MADE IN U.S. America.

I have added several pictures that I took of it today in hopes that someone might help me identify the model of it. I intend to keep it since it was a family heirloom; however, I prefer to have items like this named & some history attached to them for future generations that may be interested in them.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
Kelli 73922.jpg 73923.jpg 73924.jpg 73925.jpg 73926.jpg 73929.jpg

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Hi, Kelli. Good job with your pictures. My Tran Duy Ly Seth Thomas book shows your clock in the Giants Series. It is very close to the Giants No 2, although your base is on the Giants #3. Can't find a match for your glass. Tran shows it from a 1904 catalogue picture, and the slight differences may just indicate it was from a different year. The description is " 8 Day, half hour strike. Made in golden oak only. Embossed ornamentation. 6 inch dial, height 25 inches 6wire bell strike and alarm, $26.75."
This was a premium price in 1904. Your dial trademark is from the E and J Swigart Company of Cincinnati, indicating it was a replacement paper.
I'm going to delete your other posts to avoid confusion.

TexasRed

Oct 15, 2010
Thank you so much Harold!

Is replacement paper a bad thing? Based on your info regarding the different base - I went over it with a fine tooth comb, magnifying glass & flashlight this morning & didnt see any difference in coloration of the wood anywhere that would indicate {to me anyhow} a structural change. It has been repaired with a small piece of brass on the back of one of the arms {for lack of a better word} down the side, where it must have been cracked years ago. Its a little piece of brass nailed over what I presume was an old fracture in the wood.

I remember it on the mantle in our living room as a kid some 40+ years ago now. And from there, somewhere along the way, it went into a box as clocks got newer & fancier. I'm sure my Mom kept it because it was in their family & she loved antique-anything :)

I sure appreciate your assistance. I love the clock, always have because of the aztec looking head on it. It has its original keys that were inside it behind the glass too.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
No reason to believe the case isn't all original. Seth probably alternated bases to clocks like these to make slight changes from year to year. Look on the bottom, and on the back of the clock. You might find a date code.
Often the dial paper got changed after someone in the house decided to clean the dial, and the numbers came off. You have a very nice clock with a family connection. With proper maintenance, it can easily run for several more generations of your family.

TexasRed

Oct 15, 2010
Thanks Harold.

I've really enjoyed the sound of it ringing since I've been fiddling with it today. Brings back a lot of fun memories in that old living room .. not to mention the unique sound of the bell :) Now I'll just have to find a way to explain to the MIL why I replaced the smaller mantle clock they gave us with this one!

Do you think its something I should really have a local antique clock repair place take a look at, clean up and/or appraise? I just would not have a clue if it should be a named item on homeowner's insurance.

I hate jumping in as a brand new member & asking for "all" the answers .. but I'm finding more & more items, like this clock, from my parents' estate that someone tells me "you need to find out what that is, it looks old, or you need to get something like that {coin collection} appraised."

I do very much appreciate all the info you provided. I will be sure to also speak with a few more relatives to get their ideas of its origin. Now I'm very curious as to how it came to the family to begin with if these type clocks were being advertised in the 1900s.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
It's value won't be high enough to warrant special insurance coverage, but it would be a good idea to have it cleaned and serviced by a competant clock repairman, if you don't know it's history of repair.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AugustaKevin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller