• The online Bulletins and Mart and Highlights are currently unavailable due to a failure of a network piece of equipment. We are working to replace it and have the Online publications available as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience.

Help identifying an antique grandfather clock

hallmawfuedu

New User
Sep 22, 2021
Country
This grandfather clock has been in my wife's family for a couple of generations. I don't see any name or date on dial or visible mechanisms. There is a partial piece of paper on the back with faded handwriting saying something like Follinh... or Follenh... followed by XIX and ylardtg. 27. No idea if that has to do with the clock, a prior owner, or just what.

I appreciate any leads/ideas about identifying this (or about it's potential value, to know whether it's worth renovation/repair).

Thank you,

Mark

IMG_3866.jpg IMG_3867.jpg IMG_3868.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

Please post clear photos of the clock's movement ('the works'), clear close up of the dial and also the writing on paper that you mention. It is not possible to identify it from what you have posted, but I suspect that the movement will be German.

For some reason your photos only enlarge a tiny amount.

JTD

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
It's a high quality movement for sure - we will still need to see pictures of the backplate (which will require removing the movement completely from the case to get a good picture).

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
As Isaac says, we need to see the back of the movement in order to identify it.

As for the handwriting on the paper, this is a name and address, and I recognise it as an address in Vienna. The first word is someone's name, unfortunately incomplete (Follenhxxx or Follinhxxx), followed by XIX. This is the 19th district in Vienna, called Döbling, and that is followed by Hardtg. 21. This is an abbreviation of the street name Hardtgasse, followed by the house number 21. (Hardtgasse is still there).

So the label is a name and address in Vienna. Whether this was the name of the purchaser and the address to which the clock was to be delivered, or whether it was a label put on by a repairer is impossible to say.

Please let us see the back of the movement and perhaps we can establish the maker.

JTD

hallmawfuedu

New User
Sep 22, 2021
Country
VERY interesting. I've actually been in that part of Vienna. Too bad I didn't have this info then
Here are more photos as suggested. Now that this clock has taken on more meaning for me, I'd really appreciate any additional info. Is is possible to guesstimate it's general era?

Thank you,

Mark

IMG_3908.jpg IMG_3920.jpg IMG_3919.jpg IMG_3918.jpg IMG_3909.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Here are more photos as suggested. Now that this clock has taken on more meaning for me, I'd really appreciate any additional info. Is is possible to guesstimate it's general era?
It is a good quality movement with nice thick plates. The keyhole/post attachment on the back plate was used by Gebr. Resch, an Austrian firm, but I don't think they were the only ones to use it. Others may able to say more about that.

The pendulum leader is very elegantly made and, again, high quality design. The movement does bear some similarities to Gebr. Resch movements, but I would have expected a mark. Others may be able to identify it more definitely.

As for the date, I would guesstimate 1895-10 or thereabouts.

JTD

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Is there a trademark on the backplate hidden by the pendulum leader? Perhaps part of a crescent moon of Baduf?

Regards.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
VERY interesting. I've actually been in that part of Vienna. Too bad I didn't have this info then
Since my last post I did try to find out who the partial name might have been. I could not find any name with the beginning part that we have that fitted from 1890-1930. In some of the old Viennese directories you can also look for the inhabitants by looking at the street address as well as the name index. This option was only done occasionally for a few years, and then discontinued - it made the directories too big, I suppose.

In the directories which did give the inhabitants by street address, as well as by the name index, the results were disappointing. Both times when I used that way of searching the entry for Hardtgasse 21 was just 'Information nicht eingelangt' ('information not received). Why this should be, twice, I don't know. My only thought, and it is just conjecture on my part, is that perhaps Hardtgasse 21 was some kind of storeroom or warehouse and nobody actually lived there. But that may be quite wrong, it is just a thought.

JTD

hallmawfuedu

New User
Sep 22, 2021
Country
What a terrific resource this group is proving to be. I'm truly impressed.
Re. address directories, based on my pretty limited knowledge of Vienna, that location probably would have been on the edge/outskirts of town that long ago, so storage/industrial is a good bet.

Mark

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
What a terrific resource this group is proving to be. I'm truly impressed.
Re. address directories, based on my pretty limited knowledge of Vienna, that location probably would have been on the edge/outskirts of town that long ago, so storage/industrial is a good bet.

Mark
Well, I know Vienna very well. It is true that Döbling is (still) somewhat on the outskirts of the city, but it was never an industrial area, it was and still is a quite elegant residential district. There are parts which are more working class, such as the huge (more than 1 kilometer long!) housing block called Karl-Marx-Hof, built in 1927, but also the leafy suburbs of Heiligenstadt and Sievering, where you can sit outside and drink the heurigen Wein.

Having said all that, it is not unusual for small firms to rent a house or part of a building to use as a store, so yes, you are right, Hardtgasse 21 could have been used as a store, but don't take that idea as proven.

JTD

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Is there a trademark on the backplate hidden by the pendulum leader? Perhaps part of a crescent moon of Baduf?

Regards.
I don't think there is a Baduf Halbmond there. That logo was like the one shown in this post. Moreover, this movement is more in the Austrian style, such as those by Gebr. Resch mentioned by JTD. JMO.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I don't think there is a Baduf Halbmond there. That logo was like the one shown in this post. Moreover, this movement is more in the Austrian style, such as those by Gebr. Resch mentioned by JTD. JMO.
More clues point to Austrian than German, but I am curious if there is a TM on the backplate.

Perhaps my eyes are deceiving me.

Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johndavidcham
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-