Help identifying Alaron clock

ClocKiko

New User
Jun 21, 2022
Country
My grandmother recently passed and left this clock to me. It isn't one that I specifically remember from my youth, but I do remember her having a lot of clocks in general so I'm just trying to trace where she may have picked this one up as all of my attempts to search for this clock on Google Lens don't bring up very similar things

It is roughly a foot tall, there's a bit on the back to hang it on the wall, and the surrounding casing is made of plastic with a little metal piece that settles down into a hole in the wood. I can find no identifying information other than the name of the company as seen on the front.

Thanks in advance for anything you can help with! PXL_20220621_141024040.jpg

Reactions: Dave T

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
Hello ClocKiko,

Yes, I can find plenty of Alaron clocks – typical Korean 31 day wall clocks, but nothing like yours. Looking at the spring, I would say it's 31 day running as well. Korean clocks are not considered valuable but at least this one may be able to claim some rarity.

A search for "alaron" on this site brings up quite a few threads so, if you have the patience to wade through them, you might find something.

Michael

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Very interesting clock for an Alaron. As mentioned most of these are wall clocks, or box shaped mantle clocks. And the movement is different than most too. The 31 day variety that I've seen all have two springs.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I've seen that name many times but never seen a one train. It might not be a 31-Day runner (?) as the spring does not appear as dense as the usual 31-Day spring.

As pictured your clock is completely run down. That is usually a good sign, as it had to be running to be in that condition ...

Willie X

ClocKiko

New User
Jun 21, 2022
Country
I've seen that name many times but never seen a one train. It might not be a 31-Day runner (?) as the spring does not appear as dense as the usual 31-Day spring.

As pictured your clock is completely run down. That is usually a good sign, as it had to be running to be in that condition ...

Willie X
One of my other interests is in finding out more about how to take care of said clock. There are two keys for it, but I don't know how to wind it or set it or anything.

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
For winding simply remove the front cover and insert the key that fits on the winding arbor in the hole above the six. Looks like you'll have to move the pendulum aside to insert it. Then gently move the pendulum to one side and it should start.
As for setting move the minute hand slowly to the half hour, and then the hour, waiting for it to strike at each turn.

The pendulum does not appear to be correct for this clock. The wire loop that attaches it to the pendulum leader is not right. It should hang in the center, and this pendulum has no provision to do that.

I would think it would be something more like this one. pendulum.jpg

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Both those keys are cheap replacements.

Make sure the key fits snuggly BEFORE you attempt to wind it up. If the key slips, that can be a very bad thing.

Willie X

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VTC Duane
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner