• For those of you who were having issues connecting to the Forums, it turns out that our modem was not functioning properly. We have replaced it now and the connection to the Forums has been restored. Thank you for your patience.

Help identifying a watch...is it Alfred Bedford?

C4ssiew

Jan 5, 2021
Country
Hi All, I’m hoping you can help

I’m trying to identify what this watch is etc. I’ve looked into AB which is the only Mark I can find and deduced this could be Albert Bedford, but that’s as far as I managed to get!
Any help would be appreciated!

image.jpg

image.jpg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi C4ssiew, and welcome to the forum,

I’ve looked into AB which is the only Mark I can find and deduced this could be Albert Bedford, but that’s as far as I managed to get!
Any help would be appreciated!
Alfred Bedford was the manager of the big American watch company Waltham's UK operations, so it certainly isn't him, since this is a Swiss watch. As Enrico has suggested, it could be Arthur Baume, who was a watch importer in London, or indeed somebody else! See this website for other possibilities.

There's a difference between the hallmarks in cases, (legally necessary in UK made precious metal objects), and anything marked on movements, which aren't hallmarks but usually trademarks.

Swiss watches such as this were exported in huge numbers in the 19th century and the vast majority are completely anonymous. Yours has a modest quality cylinder movement of a type which is now long obsolete.

Regards,

Graham

Reactions: C4ssiew

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Complextime
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Bread Upon the Waters by Tom McIntyre