Help identifying a Swiss movement

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
whatdoesyourwatchsay.blogspot.com
Country
Region
A member on the forum, Canadian Watch Collector, found a Swiss watch that belonged to his father. The dial and case back are marked Roxy. I'm hoping the members here can figure out what the movement is. I looked on Dr. Ranfft's site but I wasn't able to find out which movement it is and an internet search didn't turn up much.

Here's a link to the CWC thread:

Canadian Watch Collector

f456bdbeb82c9f36e7da61346e8a7fc6.jpg

MrRoundel

Donor
Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
The design reminds me of an AS 1187'ish movement. Not exact, but reminiscent of. You might have to get the under dial image to know for sure. Otherwise, maybe roughbarked will check in. He's pretty good on such things. Good luck.

Reactions: Paul Raposo

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Definitely a watch I don't remember ever repairing. Was not a common sight to see the escape wheel and pallets behind the balance cock.
Doesn't look like a Tavannes to me but that doesn't mean anything. Has the general look of an AS but isn't one I recognise.
Ranfft doesn't list a Tavannes 50 or Eberle 50 for that matter. Again, not that this means much.

Last edited:

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
Country
Region
A big thank you to MrRoundel, Bila and roughbarked for your help and opinions on this movement. Very much appreciate your input. The members here are always able to name these unidentified movements :)

Doing a search online Bila looks to be correct that this is a Tavannes but a 54 rather than a 50, but all from the same family. Here's is Dr. Ranfft's listing for the caliber 50:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Nouvelle Fabrique Tavannes 50

The 54 adds the sweep second hand and the cap jewel.

Here's an ebay listing with the same movement:

Rare New Factory Tavannes Caliber 54 Watch Movement | eBay

And a WUS thread with the same movement:

Is it Langel 54 or else?

Reactions: MrRoundel and Bila

Bila

NAWCC Member
Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
That Langel is the same ebauche Paul, the parts very likely will be the same, as is the Tavannes 54 and the also the same caliber in the Eberle, the Eberle & Langel are an actual Tavannes.

Last edited:

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
Country
Region
I think you're correct Bila. Doing a search online I found a thread here on NAWCC from January this year!

Movement ID Please

And here's an ebay listing for a balance that is for the BR 6-ET; EBERLE/NFT 50, 51, 53 and 54

Balance-Balance (721) B.R 6-ET / Eberle / Nft 50=51=53=54 | eBay

This movement appears under all three names.

I appreciate your help with this Bila and the owner of the watch is very happy too :thumb:

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
My search didn't come up with any cal 50 at Ranfft. Not sure why, can Paul help me with that?
OK. I sorted it. Somehow Ranfft doesn't always recognise Cal. Also it might have helped me to have added nouvelle fabrique. :)

No. Until now, I've never seen one come across my bench. I'd love to pull one down and examine it.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region

Paul Raposo

Nov 4, 2005
Cambridge, ON Canada
Country
Region
No. Until now, I've never seen one come across my bench. I'd love to pull one down and examine it.
Yes, it would be interesting to see the escape wheel and pallet fork arrangement under the bridge. There's a movement for sale on ebay but I'm not in a position to take a flyer on it just to have a look.

It also appears as a Silvana 1050.
Here's one marked Silvana 1050:

SILVANA 1050 TAVANNES NFT 50 15J MANUAL WIND WATCH MOVEMENT FOR PARTS OR REPAIR | eBay

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Country
Region
A big thank you to MrRoundel, Bila and roughbarked for your help and opinions on this movement. Very much appreciate your input. The members here are always able to name these unidentified movements :)

Doing a search online Bila looks to be correct that this is a Tavannes but a 54 rather than a 50, but all from the same family. Here's is Dr. Ranfft's listing for the caliber 50:

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Nouvelle Fabrique Tavannes 50

The 54 adds the sweep second hand and the cap jewel.

Here's an ebay listing with the same movement:

Rare New Factory Tavannes Caliber 54 Watch Movement | eBay

And a WUS thread with the same movement:

Is it Langel 54 or else?
Thanks for the watchuseek link on this. From that angle, the pic showing that the balance cock looks to be clearly from the Tavannes factory.
However, the other confusions about how it may have been confused with say an ASmovement, is clued in, post #4 on the watchuseek forum page: "IIRC NFT is a different company fro the Tavannes region of Switzerland".
Which to me inclusive of the stamped Ebauches S.A. shield, points to this the moreso.

Last edited:
Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iandb