Help Identifying a Grand Father Clock

BPRENEVOST

May 3, 2021
Country
Hello,

I'm trying to identify the clock and what I should be looking at to determine value. I purchased this in Germany back in 2009 at an antique auction. When I moved back to the states, the key to open was misplaced. Do you know of any places I might be able to have a key made for the lock. Any input is appreciated.
IMG_4579 (4).jpg IMG_4583.jpg IMG_4582.jpg IMG_4581.jpg IMG_4580.jpg IMG_4579.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Welcome to the board.

As the label on the back says, the clock was marketed by Ernst Lauffer & Co. in Schwenningen. The company was founded in 1919 by Ernst who was the elder brother of Karl Lauffer who had clock factory. As far as can be established Ernst Lauffer did not make the clocks himself but probably sold those made by his brother Karl. A look at the back of the movement might reveal who made it.

In 1934 Ernst Lauffer sold the business and the name was changed, so it looks as if your clock was made before 1934.

The locks on these cases were usually very simple ones. You may well find that you already have a key that would work - try the keys you have in cupboard doors or drawers, one may fit. If not, a local clockmaker might well be able to help you - most have a box of odd keys. Or you might be able to pick the lock yourself, they really are very simple locks.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mike Craft
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre