the movement is only marked
No 297616
I do not know what the dial is marked, from hearing the case is 18K

Attachments

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
I have an Elgin dated 1897 whose case was amde by Courvoisier-Wilcox Mfg Co 21-23 Maiden Lane New York.

Any help?

vandd

Jan 26, 2008
idk i guess i wont know till i get the watch home, i was thinking the watch movement might look like a longines

vandd

Jan 26, 2008
not till i get it home, witch will be 3-4 days from now. but once i do get it i will take many (good) photos

vandd

Jan 26, 2008
ok, i didnt get it yet (hopefully tommarrow) but i talked to a watchsmith (friend of mine) and he states this Maiden Lane could be a Seth Thomas, i am going to be sending him photos as well because now i got his attention

John Pavlik

NAWCC Member
Dec 30, 2001
Green Bay, Wi
Country
Region
Dean,

It is not a Seth Thomas.. they only used that name on a very few 18 size watches.., Maiden Lane is a street in New York City that was the "Place to Be" if you were in the jewelery trade..

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
It is not a Seth Thomas.. they only used that name on a very few 18 size watches.., Maiden Lane is a street in New York City that was the "Place to Be" if you were in the jewelery trade..
I already told him that, John :)

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
well, i do not know if it is or not a longines
That's interesting. I have only one Longines, and what immediately stands out is the almost lyre-shaped bar in the bottom left of my photo, which has a general resemblance to the equivalent bar at the top of your photo.

Attachments

vandd

Jan 26, 2008
i do have a photo of under the dail, its only marked with the serial numbers of the movement. and the watch movement is a size 8

Attachments

Brad Swartzbaugh

Jan 3, 2011
NW Iowa
Country
Region
Brand new to this Site so please bear with me: It seems that I have finally found somebody else with this "Maiden Lane" watch! Mine is a size 8, also with the exact same movement, and done by the same watchmaker as the engraving detailing is almost a near match to yours. I have a serial number of #398030. One other detail I have is that the watchmaker etched the number "1838" on movement edge near the stem. Not sure what that denotes. As for the case- #347101-It is an exact match with same "18" mark & B.W.C.Co logo with the partial bird?? in the octagon. Inner case lid is also the same with an English style "E". Someone mentioned in a post earlier that the E may have been adopted from an English date system denoting 1879. More good news is that I have been an antique jewelry dealer for years & do use a gold test kit regularly and it is........I would have to say approximately 17K solid -Not Filled. The outer covers & the movement cover verses the main frame all vary slightly in actual gold content. Main frame at maybe 16-17K, & movement cover at 18K. I haven't tested the crown but I think the results speak for themselves. I had removed the movement during testing to allow the file test to be done on the unseen inner gold frame. Covers were file tested up under the rolled lip area, all very carefully done & impossible to spot the tested areas. NICE watches we have, and without the movement, weigh in at 25.73 grams. Subtract the crown & stem, & Inner steel bands I estimate these to weigh in approximately 20 grams of roughly 17K gold!! Sure hope to see more of these rare watches show up!!:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rmedora
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller