English Help Identify - Unusual Musical& 9Tube Grandfather

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Gary Ewald, Mar 16, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Gary Ewald

Gary Ewald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Male
    (Retired) Cathedral Clock Winder
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I discovered this mystery movement in for repair at a local shop. No case included nor any ID on movement. This beautifully crafted movement has 9 Tubes, 4 weights, and a revolving "movie style reel" that rotates a 2" wide jointed metal tape that is hole punched to play chimes as it revolves. Looking at the movement you get a movie projector impression. The forth weight operates the reel portion of the movement. I am hopeful that someone out there will have come across one of these and be able to shed some light on it. I would dearly love to pursue the owner and see the case. Perhaps I could negotiate a purchase but would like to know more about it before I do.

mech4 (3).jpg mech3.jpg mech6 (2).jpg mech5 (2).jpg mech2 (2).jpg

2. brian fisher

brian fisher Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 20, 2017
    houston, tx
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    well, that one is really unique. i have honestly never seen a movement like that. my interest is indeed piqued. no offense, but i really wish your photos were better. it seems high quality, but there are a lot of very odd elements to the design. double pulleys drawing chains? ive never seen a 9 tube chain drive before.

did you ask the clock maker for any details? did you look at the dial? most clues would probably come from there. usually there would be some sort of insignia between the moon phase and the 12. likely, it would also tell which tunes it plays. another good place to look would be on the rear movement plate. perhaps chimeclockfan can help?

would you have the opportunity to go and take more and better photos with a better camera?

3. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have never seen anything quite like this and the published trade books yielded squat. It doesn't look like any of the factory-produced tubular bell chime clock movements from the early 1900's so I would be inclined to believe this was a one-off. The tubular bells may be signed near their hung ends however this is not necessarily indicative of who made the movement. Very intriguing concept in all aspects but looks like a maintenance nightmare if something has to be fixed.

4. Gary Ewald

Gary Ewald Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 13, 2014
    Male
    (Retired) Cathedral Clock Winder
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Brian...

Thanks for your input. This clock is owned by an old lady that lives up in Big Bear mountain area My clock repair guy went up and brought only the works down so as not to contend with the huge heavy case. That being said, the clock is back home all repaired so additional photos may be out of the question. However, what I do have is two one minute videos taken with my smart phone which I uploaded to my desk top photo page. The photos I posted were stills taken from the video because I cant figure out how to locate the video URL's so I can insert them via the box provided below on this page. The video is much better quality than the individual excerpts. I simply can't locate the URL for an individual video on my desk top computer photo page? Any ideas:???:

My clock guy is simply a fairly withdrawn fellow who parts with very little information. So he was vague at best about the origins.