HELP IDENTIFY THE DATE OF EN WELCH CLOCK/Good resource on EN WELCH

morga3ke

New User
Sep 27, 2017
Country
I have a Star Pointer Clock, was wondering if anyone could help identify an age to it. Also I am doing a research paper on EN Welch and this clock so if anyone has any good resources (books, website, etc) on where to find things about that would be great.

unnamed.jpg unnamed-1.jpg

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
The Star Pointer is shown in Tran Duy Ly's book on Welch clocks from the 1900 sales catalogue. It came both with and without a simple calendar function (the calendar showing only the date on the month). Welch's Star Pointer may have been offered a few years before and after 1900. Certainly,the model was continued by the Sessions Clock Company after the Sessions family took over the bankrupt E.N. Welch manufacturing Company effective January 1, 1903.

Perhaps a good place to begin research on Welch would be the History section in Tran's Welch book. It was written by Chris Bailey, one the foremost horological scholars in the United States. The current (second) edition of the book is available through arlingtonbooks.com. Although it is not inexpensive, this book, which is aimed at quite a specialized audience, is not easy to find in libraries. Perhaps try Amazon, and remember you want the 2nd edition.

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Another good reference would be Owen & Jo Burt's The Welch, Spring and Company. This is Supplement 12 to the NAWCC Watch & Clock Bulletin; it was published in February 1978. It is, I believe, out of print, but I recently obtained a copy, possibly through Amazon. I forget the price, but it did not break the bank. This is a good work but covers only a small portion of Welch's long career as a clock maker. Welch, Spring and Company was formed in 1868 and was absorbed into the parent company, E. N. Welch Manufacturing Co., in 1884. Welch, Spring & Co. was established to make clocks of a higher than normal quality.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
The publication by Burt which Steven mentions is easily obtainable from www.used.addall.com and at a range of prices starting at about $5.

Hope this helps.

JTD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ellaurin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-