• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Help Identify Swiss Minute Repeater

jwatches

Nov 6, 2022
Country
I would appreciate information about this Swiss minute repeater marked 'Savoy Fres'. It appears to be a complete movement, though I lack the dial, hands and case.
IMG_6291.jpeg IMG_6292.jpeg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi jwatches,

Does it strike the minutes? I can only see a quarter snail on the cannon pinion and three teeth on the quarter rack.

Regards,

Graham

jwatches

Nov 6, 2022
Country
Hi jwatches,

Does it strike the minutes? I can only see a quarter snail on the cannon pinion and three teeth on the quarter rack.

Regards,

Graham
I honestly have no idea. I have attached a couple higher res pics in case they help.
IMG_0009.jpeg IMG_0010.jpeg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi jwatches,

IMG_0010_marked.jpg

The quarter snail, (blue) is there, as is the quarter rack (black), but the minute wheel which should fit on the post (green) is missing, as is the hour wheel which should fit over the cannon pinion (red), but I'm afraid there are some teeth missing from the pinion in the centre of the red circle. This drives the minute wheel as well as the quarter snail and has a finger underneath it which indexes the hour star wheel next to it, so in a repeater this part is more complex than the one in a plain watch and accordingly more difficult to find a replacement if it's damaged.

Regards,

Graham

jwatches

Nov 6, 2022
Country
Hi jwatches,

View attachment 736575

The quarter snail, (blue) is there, as is the quarter rack (black), but the minute wheel which should fit on the post (green) is missing, as is the hour wheel which should fit over the cannon pinion (red), but I'm afraid there are some teeth missing from the pinion in the centre of the red circle. This drives the minute wheel as well as the quarter snail and has a finger underneath it which indexes the hour star wheel next to it, so in a repeater this part is more complex than the one in a plain watch and accordingly more difficult to find a replacement if it's damaged.

Regards,

Graham
Thanks Graham. I believe I have the correct hour and minute wheel(s). Attached are two more shots with the two minute wheels I have, as well as a close-up of the center wheel arbor ( these two minute wheels were in a container with the movement and two incorrect cannon pinions). It appears that the cannon pinion is pressed on one end and a collar is pressed on the other, sandwiching the quarter snail mechanism. What is this watch, is it valuable, and are cannon pinions, cases, dials and hands readily available? It actually runs fine, which is very encouraging, so I am weighing selling vs. restoring. But first I want to at least know what it is and if it's value justifies the effort/cost.
IMG_0016.jpeg IMG_0015.jpeg IMG_0014.jpeg IMG_0013.jpeg

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region
Hi jwatches,

I think it could well be based on a Le Coultre ébauche, as roughbarked has suggested; they did supply to many other companies who finished in their own way.

It would certainly be possible to restore the movement, find a dial and case it, but it's also certain that you wouldn't come anywhere close to recouping the not inconsiderable cost of all that if you then sold it. I think your choices are to keep it as a project and see what you can find in parts, or sell it as it is.

Regards,

Graham

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jo Joyce
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent