• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Help identify maker

tonymedri

Mar 17, 2017
Country
HI Guys please see face of recent clock addition to my collection .im trying ti identify the maker and can find no record of him ,what i have found is the spelling of St Auftle is old English for St Austell ( used by Rev John Wesley around 1760) the movement is a standard four pillar with hand hammered end plates and cast pinions, thanks in advance Tony
download.png

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
There is within this document, the will of John Tallack, yoeman of St Austell.
Which can be downloaded here. He was married to Jane Tallack and
Will of John Tallack of St Austell 1747

I Give to my son John Tallack one Third part of my Tools or Utelses & Timber & Stock in Trade All the rest of my Worldly Goods I Give and Bequeath unto my son Thomas Tallack and to my son George Tallack whom I make Equal Executors to be Shares alike of this my last Will & Testament
From the mention of timbers, it could be concluded that he was the cabinet/casemaker?

This
50,,1,John Tallack,Head,M,56,,Labourer,Padstow Cornwall,,
,,,Jane Tallack,Wife,M,,56,Labourer's Wife,Padstow Cornwall,,
,,,Thomas Tallack,Son,,17,,Ship Carpenter's Apprentice,Padstow Cornwall,,
,,,Edward Tallack,Grnson,,10,,Scholar,Padstow Cornwall,
From: Cornwall Online Census Project, transcript of Piece RG10/2253(1)

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
,what i have found is the spelling of St Auftle is old English for St Austell
What appears to be a letter 'f' is in fact a 'long s', used by some people (and in print) until well into the 19th century. Here it appears as an 'st' ligature,

JTD

Reactions: new2clocks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trafxprt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Steven Thornberry