• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center will reopen starting Wednesday, January 6, 2021 as per Governor Wolf's reopening mandate.

Help identify maker of this movement

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
This movement is from a Camel Back clock of some sort. The clock came in with a replacement dial with no name, a replace back door with no label, and there are no markings anywhere on the movement.

I think it is a German movement with 1.8mm thick plates and all of the pivot holes have bushings. There are a couple that are a bit like an oval triangle that I assume are replacements. I have never seen a bushing like this, but it seems ok.

All of the wheels seem stamped since there are little ridges of brass still on the inside edges on one side.

The dial is 7 inches and there is a large, very fine brass coil gong.

A couple of features new to me are how the winding arbors are fitted to the main springs. The arbors fit through a tube that goes through the barrels and a pin is inserted in the arbor to fix it to the tube which has the hook for the spring. The time side has the normal orientation but the strike side is reversed which will make putting the sleeve in the barrel a bit tricky.

thanks for your help
tom

IMG_4711.jpg IMG_4712.jpg IMG_4713.jpg IMG_4714.jpg IMG_4721.jpg IMG_4722.jpg IMG_4723.jpg IMG_4724.jpg IMG_4725.jpg

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
An interesting movement, and a step up from the typical americaner type movements since it has solid pinions throughout the trains. Also interesting regarding the winding arbors.

Do you have pictures of the gong block/assembly? Even when they are unnamed, they can help identify potential makers and narrow things down a little bit.

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
This is the gong - and the pendulum bob is a simple brass round 2 1/8 inches

IMG_4726.jpg IMG_4727.jpg

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
I thought that the pinned arbor would allow the removal of the main springs without splitting the plates - and perhaps it does on a different movement. But on this movement, while you can pull the arbors, you cannot get the barrels out past the wheels and the posts. I will make sure to tap those pins in nice and tight like I found them. Having a pin slip out even part way under load would be a nasty surprise.

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
Hmm. The gong reminds me of some of the HAC tombstone-shaped gongs, but I can't say for sure that it's a HAC product.

Reactions: THTanner

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
Unusual spring size - the ID of the barrel is 44mm - the spring width is 17.8mm and the strength is 0.4mm

The springs were quite rusty and the barrels full of rust dust which was the main issue. I cannot find any spring close enough to swap so I am working the old ones and have them pretty well cleaned up. The odd spring size makes me think perhaps this is a copy of some other movement and was made in India where I have seen odd sized springs before.

If anyone knows of a 17,8mm x 0,4mm I would love to have a link

The closest I can find are 17.5mm x 0.46mm or 17.5mm x 0.38mm in a loop end that is long enough to cut down and make a hole end. I am pretty sure the 0.46 of the same length would not fit in the barrel so if I have to I will replace with the 0.38mm. The 17.8 and the 17.5 are close enough that a washer shim should not be needed.

Last edited:

Isaac

Aug 5, 2013
Country
Region
If it is indeed a product from India, it does seem to be of respectable quality. Another good point for it being a later movement is the fact that there are indeed solid pinions on a cut-out plate movement, where solid pinions are easier to manufacture with a CNC lathe nowadays than their lantern pinion counterparts.

chimeclockfan

NAWCC Member
Dec 21, 2006
WI
Country
Region
Looks like something from Urgos or Petersen to me but cannot confirm without going through other clocks and what little literature exists. I don't know of any German-style Indian movements, just the American patterns with open springs.

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region
Looks like something from Urgos or Petersen to me but cannot confirm without going through other clocks and what little literature exists. I don't know of any German-style Indian movements, just the American patterns with open springs.
Thanks for you input. My suspicion about India had to do with the odd spring size and large barrels. I ran into similar size on a clock about 3 years ago that was marked as being from India, but i know very little about identifying movements based on physical characteristics. The India clock had a broken spring and swelled barrel that I could not replace and had to work around. But in that clock the case was marked as being from India not the movement itself, so that is quit possibly a bad assumption on my part.

The real puzzle to me is how the arbors are pinned. So far I have not been able to find any other examples.

THTanner

NAWCC Member
Jul 3, 2016
Carson City, Nevada
Country
Region