help identify maker antique German clock

DavidCogburn

Mar 1, 2021
Country
Hello , My name is David I am new on here . I'm trying to identify the make of this antique (German ?) clock. it has a stamp that is made of 2 arrows that form an X. On the back of the clock it is marked Jonas Bros. I've attached pics. If anyone could tell me the approx. value and the best way to sell I would appreciate it.

JB1.jpg JB2.jpg JB3.jpg JB4.jpg JB5.jpg JB6.jpg

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
Hello David, welcome.

The crossed arrow logo was used by HAC a large German manufacturer. Can you post a clear sharp photo of the back of the movement? There should be numbers that may help with further identification. On the back of the case: Jonas & Co, not Jonas Bros.

Michael

JB3.jpg

DavidCogburn

Mar 1, 2021
Country
Thank you so much Michael for your quick reply. I'm sorry I haven't checked this post for a few days, I will try to check this daily. I've attached another pic here. Above the arrow stamp it is stamped 42. I can't find any other markings on it. The clock runs well. Any tips on value and where to sell. I was going to try EBay David

20210310_203939.jpg

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
Hello David,

Your clock looks like it has the same movement as the clock in post #226 of this thread:

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/hamburg-american-clocks.60727/post-729430

The case is not the same, but it is of that style and era. Your clock probably had something similar on top. You may be able to buy a replacement from clock part suppliers, or find one on the net, or sell it without the top.

As to value, that will depend on condition, is it running? been serviced recently? Watch what similar HAC clocks on eBay etc sell for (not what they list for). It won’t be worth a fortune, but someone will like it.

Hopefully, some of our US members will have ideas about values and selling options in your market.

Michael

DavidCogburn

Mar 1, 2021
Country
Thanks Micheal, This clock has been hanging in my parents garage for appox 50 years. If has not been serviced by clockmaker I took out the movement and cleaned it up and oiled it. I also cleaned up the case it was very dusty. It has been running now for approx 6 months and keeps good time. It strikes on the half hour. The sound is kind a a dull sound but it works. I'm assuming the strike need to be adjusted. David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cspeed8
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff