Help identify inherited gruen please

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Xfithitman, Jun 2, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Xfithitman

Xfithitman New Member

Jun 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    I just inherited a gruen pocket watch from my father and I am trying to find information about it. My research leads me to believe that the style is 716 and the caliber is thus 370 with the mentioned 15j. I know nothing about pocket watches or how they function. The inscribed date is obviously different than the production date. Does anyone know what kind of gruen pocket watch this is and the year it was produced. Any and all info would be appreciated. Also any idea what it would cost me to restore it? Second hand has fallen off and the wheel inside which I believe controls the second hand runs smooth for awhile and then stops dead.

2. Marty W

Marty W Registered User

Jan 10, 2012
    Supporting Doctors
    LA (lower Alabama)
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the forum.

All of your questions could be answered if you would post some pictures of this watch, especially the movement.

3. Xfithitman

Xfithitman New Member

Jun 2, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Sorry about the dual post. I couldn't figure out how to add pictures after the post was created. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg I just inherited a gruen pocket watch from my father and I am trying to find information about it. My research leads me to believe that the style is 716 and the caliber is thus 370 with the mentioned 15j. I know nothing about pocket watches or how they function. The inscribed date is obviously different than the production date. Does anyone know what kind of gruen pocket watch this is and the year it was produced. Any and all info would be appreciated. Also any idea what it would cost me to restore it? Second hand has fallen off and the wheel inside which I believe controls the second hand runs smooth for awhile and then stops dead.

4. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Senior Administrator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Business Sponsor

Feb 11, 2005
    Male
    Watch Parts Dealer
    Camarillo, CA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I've merged your two threads. To add to a thread, just click on 'Reply to Thread'.

5. artbissell

artbissell Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 4, 2009
    1979 startup ABCO Industrial Sales
    Boulder, CO Foothills
    Region Flag:
    A common 1930+&- movement. Lots of these and similar interchangeable Gruen movements often available cheap on Ebay in good running condition. artbissell

6. MikeBarnett

MikeBarnett Registered User

Nov 26, 2008
    Near Chapel Hill NC
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The number in the case is not a Style Number in this watch it is the caliber of the movement. It matches the caliber number 716 that is stamped on the movement. This watch is likely from the late 20s or early 30s.