Help Identify a Seth Thomas Clock?

Leslie Mosher

Jan 22, 2016
Country
Hi, I have this Seth Thomas clock that I need some help with, if possible. What I do know, it was given as a wedding gift in 1870. It has a #33 movement in it (which I think is the wrong movement!) marked with a 6 3/4 " pendulum rod length. The case is 14 1/2" tall, and about 8 3/4" wide, and about 3 3/34" deep. I don't know if the bottom glass is original. Now, the reason that I believe the movement is incorrect, is that with the pendulum literally scrapping the bottom of the case, the clock will gain 5 minutes an hour! I'm looking for any information on this clock, including what the correct movement should be? I know it's not a lot to go on, but I hope someone may be able to help. Thanks in advance! attachment.jpg

Attachments

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Many of these had a pendulum length that required a gouged trough in the bottom board.
If someone has replaced the pendulum with a larger one, this may be your problem. The bob shoul. be about 1 1/2" diameter. I would say that the lower glass is a replacement or redo.
Willie X

Last edited by a moderator:

Leslie Mosher

Jan 22, 2016
Country
Thanks for your input, Willie. However, the clocks' bottom board is less then 1/2" thick, so I don't think anyone could put enough of a trough in the bottom board to slow this movement down. My pendulum is about 1 1/2" in diameter. I think when my grandmother took it in for repair years ago, that the clock repair person stuffed the wrong movement back into this case. I know for a fact, that he lost the winding key, and wouldn't replace it for free, and he had a very poor reputation of repairing clocks. But my grandmother didn't want to "bother" my dad when he was working on clocks, so she took the clock to this other "repairman". I just feel the wrong movement was put into this case. I may be totally wrong, but that's my opinion. Again, thanks for your help!
Lester

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Your suspension spring could be to stiff or too long. I would suggest that you take the movement out and screw it to a board. Then vary the pendulum length until it keeps time. This will answer your question. If the pendulum needs to be two inches longer, your suspicions are correct. If only 1/4" more is needed, that could possibly be worked out without much trouble.
Willie X

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
From what I can see from your picture, it appears that it may well be the right movement. Are there any other screw holes in the back of the case to support the theory it may have been changed?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PhilGoodew
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller