• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

HELP - Identification of Wittnauer Watch

darkmagnuz

Nov 10, 2022
Country
Hello,

Newbie here. I just bought this watch. The seller told me that this is a 1950's Longines Wittnauer Watch, but checking the Longines serial identifier (because I cannot find one for Wittnauer) but the serial 2459088 shows it is produced in 1910. Can you help me identify what exact watch this is and what year it was produced?

Thank you in advance.

GridArt_20221110_150108499.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Hello,

Newbie here. I just bought this watch. The seller told me that this is a 1950's Longines Wittnauer Watch, but checking the Longines serial identifier (because I cannot find one for Wittnauer) but the serial 2459088 shows it is produced in 1910. Can you help me identify what exact watch this is and what year it was produced?

Thank you in advance.

View attachment 735669

I don't think the number in the case is the serial number of the watch, I think it is the serial number of the case.

However, I am not expert in watches and others may know more/better.

I can see the AXA mark on the movement, which is the Swiss import mark for Wittnauer. I expect others will be able to say who made it.

JTD

Reactions: darkmagnuz

darkmagnuz

Nov 10, 2022
Country
I don't think the number in the case is the serial number of the watch, I think it is the serial number of the case.

However, I am not expert in watches and others may know more/better.

I can see the AXA mark on the movement, which is the Swiss import mark for Wittnauer. I expect others will be able to say who made it.

JTD
Thanks, I just wanna know more about the watch and it is really hard to find information online. Would just be fun if I can tell a story behind the things we have.

So far I know the internals are Longines 9ARB (as mentioned by sir roughbarked), but when I search that, it shows other designs, so I understand it is the internals. Should be produced in the 1950's or prior, and it is Swiss made.

Thank you both for the inputs.

roughbarked

Dec 2, 2016
Western NSW or just this side of the black stump.
Country
Region
Thanks, I just wanna know more about the watch and it is really hard to find information online. Would just be fun if I can tell a story behind the things we have.

So far I know the internals are Longines 9ARB (as mentioned by sir roughbarked), but when I search that, it shows other designs, so I understand it is the internals. Should be produced in the 1950's or prior, and it is Swiss made.

Thank you both for the inputs.
There are no serial numbers on this movement. They don't seem to have been produced in huge numbers as there is vey little information about them. Though they seem to be from the 1960's.

Found these parts available on one site:

Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 12.51.49 pm.png

and this on another: Screen Shot 2022-11-11 at 1.00.10 pm.png

Last edited:

John Cote

Staff member
Director
NAWCC Member
Aug 26, 2000
Midwest USA
www.johncotephotography.com
Country
Region
The case of your watch is American made. Wittnauer was sort of the lower end brother of Longines. Much of their production around this time was exported to the US as movements only to avoid some of the tariff/duty imposed on Swiss watches to protect the American watch industry. Your watch was a direct competition to Hamilton and Elgin who were the big American producers at the time.

darkmagnuz

Nov 10, 2022
Country
The case of your watch is American made. Wittnauer was sort of the lower end brother of Longines. Much of their production around this time was exported to the US as movements only to avoid some of the tariff/duty imposed on Swiss watches to protect the American watch industry. Your watch was a direct competition to Hamilton and Elgin who were the big American producers at the time.
Yes, I read Longines bought Wittnauer in 1936, but the owners were friends long before that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztrukin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent