Help ID French Clock Maker ? Germont Chatou

roman16

Mar 4, 2006
Hi. Recently acquired a large French Bronze clock that has a signed dial. The first name I can't seem to make out but look like BAYLAND or something close. The second name is Germont. Chatou is the place name that is near near Paris. Tried to find the maker or retailer information via the internet and not luck. No signature on the movement. Maybe one of you adept French clock experts out there can piece the puzzle together for me. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

fr1.jpg fr2.jpg fr3.jpg

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
It would help in trying to identify your clock if we could see a photo of the movement.

JTD

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Using the search terms "Germont pendule" or "Germont Horloger" does not bring up anything either - either whoever sold this did not sell a lot of clocks, or maybe someone has tried to repaint what they thought they read at some point in the clocks life.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

The name on the dial is definitely that of the retailer - l very much doubt there is a great deal of information available as it was likely a small clock or jeweler's furthermore based in a suburb of Paris and not in Paris itself, so there are perhaps no existing records of its existence, as is the case with many small businesses selling clocks at that time. As JTD says, it would perhaps be more enlightning to see the movement - is it stamped under the bell? It is quite possibly a Japy Frères movement.

Regards.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
There is a Germont listed, Paris 1812, but no first name, however with no full pictures of the case and movement it is hard to date this clock.

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Hi,
While searching in the archives (1901) of the city of Chatou I found the names.
Balland Victor the husband 65 years old and Germont Angelina 66 years old his wife, both watch dealer in the Rue de Saint-Germain in Chatou.

doc archives.jpeg

Balland.jpeg

Accueil - Archives départementales des Yvelines

So I think that these two merchants were already in business around 1870 given their ages in 1901.

Amicalement GG

Last edited:

roman16

Mar 4, 2006
Thanks for all the input. Here are some pictures of the movement. No name on the backplate just the number and the corresponding number on the bezel edge along with the initials BD. Assuming this is the mark of the maker of the bezel. Letter only on the front plate. Looks like a Y. Had quite a few French clocks over the years and don't think I remember one from this period without a makers stamp on the backplate.

fr4.jpg fr5.jpg fr6.jpg

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
The movement looks to have a Brocot suspension spring adjustment through the dial which was patented around 1840 or so. Many of these French movements are unmarked making identifying the maker difficult.

Curtis Brown

NAWCC Member
Apr 26, 2019
California
Country
Region
While searching in the archives (1901) of the city of Chatou I found the names.
Balland Victor the husband 65 years old and Germont Angelina 66 years old his wife, both watch dealer in the Rue de Saint-Germain in Chatou.
Can I just say how impressed I am with your research abilities Monsieur Agemo!

agemo

Apr 5, 2011
SAINT-NAZAIRE - FRANCE
Country
Region
Can I just say how impressed I am with your research abilities Monsieur Agemo!
Hi Curtis,
It's my sweet sin and I feel like I'm getting younger, thanks for the compliment.

Amicalement GG

Reactions: roughbarked

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DAC21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-