Help ID a clock maker, longcase.

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Andrew G., May 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Andrew G.

Andrew G. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I need help to identify a long case clock and an "unknown" movement maker. The longcase is in a bad shape. There is no ID of a case maker/retailer. The only "mark" I was able to find is on hinges. It has a Stanley's “sweetheart” logo Made In Canada. The movement seems not original. It looks like the longcase had "Bim-Bam" gong before and at some point it was changed to "Westminster" gong rods. Someone tried to put a new movement in, but the job was not complete. The "unknown" movement was not running for a long time, maybe was not running at all. It has no trademark on the backside plate, just only serial number "6010" and pendulum length "116". My guess, it looks like Urgos, but I can be wrong. Can any of you provide with any information, ideas about this clock and the maker? Any ideas about how old is the movement, the longcase?

Thanks for your assistance.
    Andrew.

IMG_001.jpg IMG_002.jpg IMG_003.jpg IMG_004.jpg IMG_005.jpg IMG_006.jpg IMG_007.jpg IMG_008.jpg IMG_009.jpg IMG_0010.jpg

2. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Interesting. I have never seen a style like it. I have heard of Stanley Tools and perhaps they made hinges but Stanley would not be the case. Movement looks German.
    Ron

3. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree, no doubts, it is German. It is more about who made it and when.

4. Peter John

Peter John Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Watch and clock repair
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That’s a Jauch movement. The pendulum hook is for a Jauch. The beat adjusting wheel is Jauch. Stanley makes many products including hinges, hammers,measuring tools, etc. the movement is fairly old, maybe 1950 ish, give or take a decade or so. Peter

5. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Peter, I will search for Jauch movements. The only reason I mentioned Stanley's hinges, it's because their "S.W. in a heart" logo... that was around 1919-1935, if I am correct. These hinges also tell that the longcase was made in Canada around that time. Thanks again!

6. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ... I forgot to post a pendulum leader. Here it is. I think, it looks more similar to PEERLESS or Embee to me. I also found that fans on the movement look different that in other Jauch movements. What do you think, Peter?

IMG_0011.jpg

7. Peter John

Peter John Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2018
    Male
    Watch and clock repair
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    A closer look at the pendulum hook and along with the leader I no longer think it is a Jauch. What is I am not sure. Peter

8. Andrew G.

NAWCC Member

May 3, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    After a few months of a complete overhaul the clock is finally in one piece. There is no mystery anymore. The movement maker is early URGOS (circa 1920). It was identified in this thread (thanks everyone for your comments). The cabinet was made in Canada about the same time, circa 1921, the maker is unknown.

I attach some more before-after pictures.
    BR Andrew.

IMG_20190513_194137.jpg IMG_20190513_194220.jpg IMG_20190513_194243.jpg IMG_20190513_194858.jpg IMG_20190617_175349.jpg IMG_20190920_001.png IMG_3244.JPG IMG_3250.JPG IMG_3206.JPG IMG_3264.JPG IMG_3335.JPG IMG_3302.JPG IMG_3286.JPG IMG_3279.JPG IMG_3324.JPG IMG_3278.JPG IMG_3343.JPG IMG_3268.JPG IMG_3275.JPG

Tatyana likes this.
  9. Rockin Ronnie

Rockin Ronnie Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 18, 2012
    Male
    retired educator
    Greenfield, Nova Scotia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The weights look like something George Lippert Co, Kitchener, Ontario, Canada would have put in their grandfather clocks.
    Ron

Eric Lippert likes this.
  10. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    wow,that has become a magnificent clock.Congrats! A wonderfull restauration You can be proud of!
    Burkhard

Andrew G. likes this.
  11. Eric Lippert

Eric Lippert New Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I have not seen a Lippert clock cabinet exactly like this one, but it certainly could be. It is similar in style to other Lippert clocks; they made a lot of different styles of cabinets, and they were definitely making grandfather clocks in Ontario in 1921.

Andrew G. and Rockin Ronnie like this.
  12. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Welcome to the message board. Are you a relative of George Lippert or is that coincidental. Odd your first post would include a topic with your name... Plus your batting 1000 with a Like on your first and only post so far. But I don't think anyone here is keeping score.

Tom

13. Eric Lippert

Eric Lippert New Member

Sep 30, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for the welcome; I'm a great-great grandchild of George J. Lippert, who is easily confused with *his* father George Lippert who was *also* a furniture maker. I am somehow related to just about all the Lipperts in the Kitchener-Waterloo area but as many of my male ancestors were only children, you have to go back pretty far. :) Confusingly enough there were at least three Lippert furniture companies in KW at one point.

I do not know much about the various furniture companies owned by my ancestors, but I do love the furniture and I am eager to learn more about it, particularly about the clocks. I own one made in 1934 and one of these days I'll fix the various broken parts and get it running again.

14. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That's cool. I hope I wasn't being to inquisitive or prying into your personal history, but it's nice to see such a personal connection to a clockmaker here.

You have come to the right place if you want to restore your clock. Post pictures and ask questions.

Tom