• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Help! I need info. on this grandfather clock!

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Beautiful clock! I only could guess Hershede or Colonial. Very nice case. Others who know more than I will have more info. We need photos of the movement and anything else you can post.

wbranko

Feb 1, 2004
Country

CCInet

Dec 30, 2015
Country
Wow... It looked like gargoyles from a gothic cathedral!!
I eagerly await an expert opinion.
Impressive discovery! o_O

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
this is an early version. i would guess it was built between 1905 and 1915. my vote is JJ Eliot for the movement. I see the tubes are designed to be fairly short in comparison to later clocks. my distant second guess would be Winterhalder and Hoffmeier. That is a first rate cabinet. White oak is a little uncommon for carvings of this quality but certainly not unheard of. This was likely, as mentioned above, a clock imported by Walter Durfee. R. J. Hoerner is a possible suspect for whoever built the cabinet.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Remarkable bit of carving, and the cathedral suggestion is apt as this sort of quality oak carving is usually found in English churches.

Anthony Fazio

Sep 9, 2020
Country
my guess is probably Colonial due to case design. Also maybe an old Waltham??
A movement pic would help a lot to.

-Julian

brian fisher

NAWCC Member
Jan 20, 2017
houston, tx
Country
Region
I spent a couple of hours thinking about this one. I'm starting to question my earlier guesses because the winding holes of this movement are not in the typical positions of an elliott or W & H hall clock. these are still possibilities, but the winding arbors look pretty similar to Elite monastery movements

1642869202154.png

with that said, i have never seen a dial like that on an elite movement.

I did notice that your dial has an engraved shield between the middle winding hole and the 6. often times, there is simply the name of the retailer here but occasionally it is the name of the manufacturer or the manufacturer of the movement. it would be really helpful to know what is imprinted into your shield. also, can you stick your cell phone in behind the movement and shoot a clear photo or two of any stampings that may be there?

lgoodrow

New User
Jan 18, 2022
Country
I spent a couple of hours thinking about this one. I'm starting to question my earlier guesses because the winding holes of this movement are not in the typical positions of an elliott or W & H hall clock. these are still possibilities, but the winding arbors look pretty similar to Elite monastery movements

View attachment 691675

with that said, i have never seen a dial like that on an elite movement.

I did notice that your dial has an engraved shield between the middle winding hole and the 6. often times, there is simply the name of the retailer here but occasionally it is the name of the manufacturer or the manufacturer of the movement. it would be really helpful to know what is imprinted into your shield. also, can you stick your cell phone in behind the movement and shoot a clear photo or two of any stampings that may be there?
This is all so wonderful and helpful. I wasn't sure what it meant to take a picture of the movement:). So i will get a picture from behind this area and post it! The engraving below the 6 is the previous owners name.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I would appreciate any help identifying the maker of this grandfather clock and any other information!

View attachment 690990 View attachment 690991 View attachment 690992 View attachment 690993 View attachment 690994 View attachment 690995
This is all so wonderful and helpful. I wasn't sure what it meant to take a picture of the movement:). So i will get a picture from behind this area and post it! The engraving below the 6 is the previous owners name.
What does the name plate say?!?

Typically, that was the name of a retailer, not the owner.

RM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caseysomm
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-