Help I.D. This Pendulum Please ~

Discussion in 'Tower, Monumental & Street Clocks' started by coldwar, Jul 8, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. coldwar

coldwar Registered User

May 20, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I have really enjoyed reading the tower clock posts, thank you all.

I have had this TC pendulum for a while, and cannot place it's manufacture. ±48" in length, bob is of cast iron ±85#, green paint with two black stripes, as seen. Brass at top of stick is engine turned. Collar seen on bottom with pin is upside down as you see it, pin locates bob to prevent spinning. No numbers seen.

I like many, have hoped this part was my first step to owning a tower clock. I have several Seth Thomas tower clock catalogs, but find no similar units. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance ~ CW

PICT0003a3.gif
    PICT0003a2.gif
    PICT0005.gif

2. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    seth thomas. If you need a photo of a similar unit to verify, I can do it later.

3. coldwar

coldwar Registered User

May 20, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Many Thanks ~ CW

4. Ray Fanchamps

Ray Fanchamps Deceased
    Deceased

Aug 24, 2000
    N'er do well......
    LLareggub
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Seth Thomas.

Maybe a #15 1/4 strike.

Lots of stick/ball combinations.

That same stick was used on the later automated winding clocks but different ball.

5. eskmill

eskmill Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Region Flag:
    As others have commented, the pendulum assembly is one offered by Seth Thomas.

The ST tower clock pendulum suspension block with the large cross pin is the clue. The cross pin fits very loosely in heavy sturips (sp?) secured to the upper suspension block casting. This to prevent the entire pendulum from crashing through the floor below should the suspension spring break.

6. doug sinclair

doug sinclair Registered User

Aug 27, 2000
    Calgary, Alberta
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I too would say Seth Thomas. Al the ancillary bits sure seem to be. The ST tower clock with which I am most familiar has a metal pendulum shaft, not wooden, but aside from that, it looks the same. It is a 16A with double three-legged gravity escapement, and 40 bpm pendulum.

7. coldwar

coldwar Registered User

May 20, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks so much to all ~ I bow deeply to the consensus of pendulum origin. I looked again at my catalogs, doubting my new eyeglasses effectiveness. The photographs of the mechs have heavy pen and ink retouching and sharpening of detail, and as suggested, the #15 (of that series) seems close, but in the image, the bottom section of stick has been morphed to what appears as a metal rod. Additionally, the bob weight is as specified in the charts for #15. I guess I could have placed the bob and bottom fastenings, but I missed the detail - I consider the matter solved, and thanks to all, again - CW

scan0220.gif

scan0219.gif

8. DanJeffries

DanJeffries The Tower clock man
    NAWCC Member

Dec 1, 2008
    Male
    Controller
    Monticello Georgia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hey there,

Here are couple more examples of your pendulum stick on a couple of different Seth Thomas models.
    One is a ST #5 that I previously owned, and the other is a ST#15. Same pendulum though.

Just thought you would like a couple of pictures, to support your findings.

Good luck finding you a clock! :)
    Dan

Attached Files:

9. coldwar

coldwar Registered User

May 20, 2009
    Country Flag:
    Thanks Dan! GEE, nice clocks! ........UHHH,,,,,,,Thou shalt not covet...Thou shalt not covet...Thou shalt not covet - CW

43.jpg

10. gvasale

gvasale Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 30, 2005
    work in a machine shop, not as a machinist
    webster, Ma
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That photo hurts almost as much as an ice pick in the forehead:eek: