American Help Getting the Right/ Nice Tone when the Hammer Strikes

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by tomtomsjc, Oct 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. tomtomsjc

tomtomsjc Registered User

May 30, 2009
    I have an antique Seth Thomas Ogee Clock. The movement works nicely but when the hammer strikes on the hour and half hour the chime is only nice on either the hour or on the half hour. I cannot seem to find a sweet spot for the same nice tone on both the hour and the half hour. It's either a nice sound on the hour and a thud on the half hour or the other way around. Any help is appreciated. Thank you

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I can think of a few things that could make the hour and half hour strike sound different but I can't think of anything that could make the sounds alternate.

Maybe a video would clear things up.

WIllie X

3. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    #3 Willie X, Oct 19, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2019
    After giving this some thought, it may be as simple as your clock's hammer lifts being different at the hour and half hour. If you could carefully measure and compare the two hammer lift measurements, folks on the list can tell you how to equalize them. However, the sounds at the halfs don't necessarily need to match the hour count sounds.

WIllie X

4. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Maybe you have a passing strike for the half hour? This would explain the different lift for the hammer. If this is the case I would set the hammer so that the half hour strike sounds good and try to change the lift for the hour strike by bending the hammer tail.

Uhralt

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree. The hammer is not completely lowered after the hour (it's raising back up), so on the half hour it's not contacting the gong. Bending the hammer tail a little should help you get the two sounding the same.

6. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I agree. It sounds like the strike synchronization is off so that the strike cycle is finishing too late and already starting to lift the hammer rather than stopping before the lift.

Tom

7. tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
    I can get both the half hour and the hour to chime, however when the half hour sounds good the hour is just an awful "clang". To get the hour to sound good , it needs to be about and inch away and then it is too far away for that half hour to even hit. It seems like the hours strike is more forceful of a strike. This is a Seth Thomas 5 7/8 Shelf Clock. Thanks Again !

8. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    The hammer should never stop "an inch away" from the gong. The hammer should stop cleanly about 1/8" from the gong wire, exactly the same at the half and the hour.

What Bugs and Tom said in post #5 and #6 but I would lean toward an assembly error. On the hour the hammer should drop cleanly and stop, no raising of the hammer at all after the strike. Remeshing the gear train will be necessary for correct action but it could be a combination of both problems.

It might be a good idea to seek out a good anamation on the hammer lift mechanism. This would show you exactly how this is supposed to work.

WIllie X

9. tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
    I am wondering if perhaps I have the hammer hitting the coil in the wrong position. I want to add that this is a rebuilt movement and I completely forgot the original hammer placement on the coil. Currently I have it hitting the straight part of the coil where is comes out of the mount. I hope I am expressing this clearly and apologize for probably not using the correct clock vocabulary. Thank you

10. tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
  11. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Loosen the gong coil screw and rotate the gong about 10 to 15 degrees anticlockwise. Then bend the hammer wire back toward the backboard until the hammer head is in the same plain as gong coil. The hammer head should rise and fall within that larger open area of the gong to the right
    It should hit the wire squarely about 3/4" north of the wire's mounting point. The hammer's
    at-rest position should be about 1/8" away from the gong wire.

WIllie X

gleber likes this.
  12. gleber

gleber Registered User

Jun 15, 2015
    Male
    Underwater Robotics Expert
    Downingtown, Pennsylvania USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Nice explanation. I noticed the same thing.

13. tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
    Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it ! I will try that. Is it normal for the hammer not to travel the same distance on the half hour strike?

14. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it is a passing strike, this is quite normal. In these clocks the half hour strike is often softer than the strike at the full hour. An active strike at the half hour should have the same amplitude as the hour strike.

Uhralt

15. tomtomsjc

May 30, 2009
    Just wanted to thank you all again for the help and give you an update. I tried everything but finally broke down and took it to a clock shop. It seems that the new movement was shipped with some kind of incorrect pin setting. Thanks again for the input !