help for unidentified watch pocket

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by GC09, Sep 13, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. GC09

GC09 New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Hello everybody.

Since long time I love antique pocket watches and finally I got my first one in a flea market in Poland. Due my lack of knowledge about this hobbie, I would like to find any information about the following pocket watch.

In front face you can read: FERD-V-NVBROE . KOBENHAVN
    In back side you can find: L&R

It is made of silver, and I guess was made in Denmark

I attach photos of the watch. I will try to attach better pics with more resolution.

I would be very glad if you provide me with any information about the watch (country, year, kind/system of watch, value...etc).

Thank you very much for your attention and I look forward to hearing from you.

Kind Regards,

2. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
    Your timepiece appears to have a Swiss, pin-set movement,
    most likely imported by the retailer in Copenhagen (below).

The Pattern on the back is the Danish Coat of Arms.

Ferd. V. Nybroe's Eftf. by Chr. Haase, watchmaker business.
    Baseless. in 1884 by Ferd. V. Nybroe (b. 1859, d. 1926).
    Proprietor (since 1944): Chr. Haase (born 1915).
    Address: Old Kongevej 162 A , Kbhvn. V.
    Source: Kraks: Denmark's oldest business. (1950)

Found here:
    http://www.coneliand.dk/Danmarks aeldste forretninger/DAEF 400-499/Side_446_Nybo_-_Nye.html

3. GC09

GC09 New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    wow¡¡¡ :) :) :)
    Thank a lot LloydB, I'm very glad cause I did not expect such a fast answer.
    Could I know the age of the watch? I mean, when it was the design (aprox).

I attach 2 more pics with better quality.

Thank you very much your attention and time. It helped me a lot.

Kind regards, View attachment 356407 View attachment 356408

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    I estimate it as being made about 1870. It is a cylinder movement which by this time was lower grade than more usual lever movements. Treat it carefully as tehse are now very hard to repair since no one has made them for over 100 years.

The case has a German hallmark.

We do not do values here but by subscription to a separate section but I can tell you this is not a highly collectable watch.

5. John Matthews

John Matthews Registered User

Sep 22, 2015
    To clarify the hallmarks - Your watch case is 800 silver (80% Ag) and has the Swiss "Auerhahn" (the Capercaillie) hallmark and, in addition, the German Imperial Crown and the Crescent Moon as identified by Dr. Jon. Both hallmarks would have been stamped in Switzerland. The Swiss manufacturer was allowed to apply the German hallmark if the watch was to be exported to or via Germany. This was the situation post 1886 to ~1910, when many watches that were destined for Scandinavia were exported through Germany.

You read more here http://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?138553

John

6. LloydB

LloydB Registered User

Feb 24, 2006
  7. GC09

GC09 New Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Well, now I really have a lot information that I did not expected¡¡¡ Im very gratefull to you all for your time and help.

When I bought it i was expecting that it could be old, but no almost 100 years. That is a big surprise :) :) :) .
    Now, Im going to read more all your information that gave to me, and learn a little bit more about this new "pleasure" of the life. I think this is a good beginning for this hobbie

And of course, if you have any recomendation for taking care of this treasure, it will be wellcomed :)

Thank you very much for your attention.

Kind regards, GC09