• The NAWCC Museum and Library & Research Center are currently open. Please check the Visiting Schedule for Days and Hours at the bottom of the Visit Page.

Help for Newbie

phildee

Mar 29, 2013
Hi Everyone,I hope You are All well,
I have been given a Clock Movement,which has been part dis-assembled.Which I am hoping I will be able to Practice on.What I would like to ask is,how would the two Wheels which are still attached to the clock plate,be taken off.Also it looks to Me,with My very limited knowledge,as if the Pivot has been broken off on the larger Wheel.Firstly,is that correct and secondly is that fixable,or would that be above My skill level.I have been told it is a H.A.C. Movement ,if that helps.Thanking You in Anticipation.

Regards,
Phil

DSCF1266.jpeg DSCF1267.jpeg DSCF1268.jpeg DSCF1269.jpeg DSCF1270.jpeg DSCF1271.jpeg DSCF1272.jpeg DSCF1273.jpeg DSCF1274.jpeg DSCF1275.jpeg

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
Welcome back Phil,

What I like to use for removal of parts like these are two modified Paint Can Openers like the one seen here https://www.lowes.com/pd/Warner-4-5-in-Metal-Paint-Can-Opener/3032230

They are very inexpensive and effective. I've ground the ends of mine down a little so that they are not so thick. Try to position them 180 degrees apart under the part and pry it straight up.

I know that the Gathering Pallet will come off without too much trouble. I suspect that the Minute Tube will also, but I've not worked on that movement before so perhaps wait to hear from others before attempting to do so.

You can also use two standard screwdrivers but they can be a little tricky sometimes to get equal lift on the part with. That's important so that you do not break or bend anything.

I do not see a broken pivot. If you have one, you'll need a lathe to prepare the arbor to accept a replacement. When I was just starting out, I would send wheels/gears to a mentor's shop to be re-pivoted.

Hope that helps.

Good luck putting Humpty back together. Did you disassemble it or was it given to you in parts? It's always tougher if you don't have to opportunity to see what goes where and how.

Regards,

Bruce

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Phil, do you have all the wheels? That larger wheel does not have a broken pivot. It runs very close to the plate.You do not have to remove those two wheels unless the plate needs bushings. Just clean the holes well. If you post a photo of the rest of the parts you have, we can help you get it together.
By the way, Bruce, haven’t seen you on here lately. Hope all is well.

Lynsey

Nov 7, 2019
South County, Rhode Island
Country
Region
Good Morning, all. I just wanted to throw my latest discovery in to the mix. For prying up small parts, I have found that there is a plastic tool that is used for cell phone repair to be quite handy. It reminds me of a miniature automotive trim remover. Here is a picture. It makes me feel better knowing I am doing all I can not to scratch up these doozies. ;) Many of you might already have this tool if you have ever purchaed computer or cell phone parts.

plastic.jpg

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Country
Region
By the way, Bruce, haven’t seen you on here lately. Hope all is well.
Hi Will. I'm doing fine. Thanks very much for your well wishes.
I've been more politically active lately and this ain't the place for that! :)

Regards,

Bruce

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I usually leave the center arbor attached unless it needs bushing. If you have to remove it, some heat on the pinion will help. I use this tool for lots of things. It works great for pulling gathering pallets off.

wow

NAWCC Member
Jun 24, 2008
Pineville, La. (central La.)
Country
Region
Good Morning, all. I just wanted to throw my latest discovery in to the mix. For prying up small parts, I have found that there is a plastic tool that is used for cell phone repair to be quite handy. It reminds me of a miniature automotive trim remover. Here is a picture. It makes me feel better knowing I am doing all I can not to scratch up these doozies. ;) Many of you might already have this tool if you have ever purchaed computer or cell phone parts.

View attachment 625523
Lynsey, I don’t have this tool. Where can I get one and what is it called?

Lynsey

Nov 7, 2019
South County, Rhode Island
Country
Region
Hi Will, I tried to find an extra one for you, but alas, they do wear out and I am down to my last one. Click HERE for the cheapest set that has two included, I found for you on Amazon. I believe the correct terminology is spudger. I like the ones that have ends like the paint can openers. They make all sorts of spudgers. Once you know the search term, you can dig up tons. Happy Spudger hunting, sorry I couldn't help more.

phildee

Mar 29, 2013
Hi Everyone,
A Big Thank You to All of You who replied to My Thread.The wealth of knowledge,and the willingness to share it,on this Site Amazes Me.I was so pleased to find out the Larger Wheel does not have a Broken Pivot,Thank You for that WOW,and Yes I do have All the Wheels,I will Post Photos,any Advice and Help will be Greatly Appreciated.It also looks like Two of the Pivot Holes on the other Clock Plate,will need re-bushing,I will certainly be looking for Advice there.Thanking You all again.

Regards,
Phil