Help for identifying a pocket watch

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
Welcome to the board, Lambros.

Your watch was made for the Turkish market, and displays all the usual added glitz that appear on such watches - great dial and very fancy decoration on the movement.

The movement itself is a fairly typical ebauche movement. I have the same movement (maker unknown) which I have attached below, but just look at the difference of the finish!!!! :eek:

The "sunburst" logo on the inside of the cover may be the mark of the casemaker, but perhaps the watchmaker. I'm afraid I can't identify it.

Your case is 14 karat solid gold.

It's a good-looking watcg, and seemingly in great condition. Congratulations.

Attachments

lambros

Apr 21, 2011
Thanks for your answer, Marty! :)

It's of real importance for me to find out as much as possible info for that watch.

How can you say that it's origin is Turkish?

Can somebody please clarify, what are the small signs close to the hour numbers in the dial?

Best
Lambros

Mikrolisk

Feb 16, 2011
Germany
www.mikrolisk.de
Country
Region
The trade mark in the dust cover is from Victor D. Lebet & Fils of Buttes, registered in 1887. The movement maker is probably the FHF.

Andreas

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
How can you say that it's origin is Turkish?

Can somebody please clarify, what are the small signs close to the hour numbers in the dial?
I didn't make myself clear, Lambros. This watch was made in Switzerland specifically for sale in Turkey, which was a huge market for Swiss watches. You can tell that from those "arrow heads" as the hour markers, which are the Turkish notation for the hour numbers. If you look closely at those numbers, you will see that in addition to the main arrow head shape there are other small shapes, and subtle differences in the thin lines at the broad end of the arrow head, which create different symbols.

Skutt50

Mar 14, 2008
Gothenburg
Country
I think there is a misunderstanding here.....

What Marty is saying is that the watch most likely is made for the Turkish market bun not made there.

Ebaushes means incomplete watches made by some anonymous manufacturer. The watches were then finished by a watchmaker. (You can read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%89bauche)

The watch is probably swiss made but to attract customer in Turkey the design was made with all the decorations etc.

My guess is that the small signs next to the numbers are some kind of multiplicator.....

I was puzzled myself but here is my attempt to decipher:

1 = V
2 = V and a doubler small u after the figure
3 = V and small tippler uu
4 = V and four quadruple sign
5 = ?
6 = ?
7 = ?
8 = ?
9 = V and some subtraction sign placed before the figure.
10 = V and 0
11 = V and V
12 = V and V with the small doubler u

EDIT: I was a bit slow in answering. Sorry, I took to long to type.......

lambros

Apr 21, 2011
You guys are fantastic!
I am really impressed with all that sound information that you gave me.

@ Marty: Thank you for the second explanation re Turkish notation.
@ Skutt: Thank you for your kind attempt to explain the symbols!:)
@Microlisk: Thank you re your reply. So the case maker was Victor D. Lebet & Fils of ButtesVictor D. Lebet & Fils of Buttes and the watchmaker was FHF? Where i can find other info about their watches?

What circa is the watch according to your estimations?

Appreciate if you can give me more matterial so as to further be informed about my watch...

Happy Easter to all of you!!;)

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
What circa is the watch according to your estimations?
It's in the period 1890-1910, or maybe just a little either side of that. I just realised how often I give that answer to the question :) That seems to have been a prolific period for pocket watch makers!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff