• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Help for a beginner - where is the click?

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
I found this movement stashed with some junk jewelry. No case or hands. Since I could see the hair spring was broken, I thought this is the one that would be a great movement to start with to learn how to remove screws, etc. since breaking it more seemed unlikely. I have no expectation to get it running. I simply want to take it apart and put it back together. However, I can’t figure out how to let down the mainspring. It appears to have no power by the lack of impulse to the escape wheel, still it would be nice to know just in case any residual power is simply not making its way to the EW. The tool is what I use since the movement has no stem or crown. I hope someone can point out where the click would be, or if it uses some other system, what that would be. Thanks.
2492B309-4212-4816-BB9D-465420F3B993.jpeg EFBFB262-798A-44DE-B6E5-1F5DD2050779.jpeg 919A5545-0D97-4949-8FF1-80E20E2FC40F.jpeg

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Hey tracerjack

On the side of the movement there is a hole to insert a pin, which will release the click. Look near the winding arbor.

The click is located under the barrel. So, to let the mainspring down insert a bench key into the movement and then push a pin into the hole and unwind slowly.

Reactions: EscapeWheel

tracerjack

Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Thank you very much. I was hoping it would be an obvious question to those on the forum. I realize helping beginners is a continuous list of the same questions that soon become tedious to answer. But, please know that we do appreciate your patience and willingness to help.

MrRoundel

Dec 28, 2010
So. Cal., USA
Country
Region
I believe that Rick H. is one who is well acquainted with Elgin watches, so I suspect that he's correct about the location of the barrel click. What I wonder about is that hole in the barrel bridge that's above the "H" in "Watch". It's not far away from where I believe this hunter case would wind, so I was wondering if it was some sort of let-down design. With luck, you've let the power out and started on your way to taking it down the rest of the way. Have fun!

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
I believe that Rick H. is one who is well acquainted with Elgin watches, so I suspect that he's correct about the location of the barrel click. What I wonder about is that hole in the barrel bridge that's above the "H" in "Watch". It's not far away from where I believe this hunter case would wind, so I was wondering if it was some sort of let-down design. With luck, you've let the power out and started on your way to taking it down the rest of the way. Have fun!
It gives access to what Elgin calls the setting lever. You could slip a pin into the hole and move it to winding or setting. I've never used it. In the photo it's the top red mark. Elgin Grade 295 (Model 2) Parts for Pocket Watch: Serial Number 10828312

tracerjack the hole to release the click is located by the lower red mark. The barrel is removed to show the click.
20220125_203035~2.jpg

Reactions: MrRoundel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nauman
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-