Help dating this watch

Quinn S

Dec 2, 2011
I was given this watch very recently as a gift from my Grandfather, it's been around their house for as long as I can remember and have always admired it. I'm just having trouble puting a precise, or semi-precise date on it. My Grandfather is unsure who owned it previously, perhaps his father or grandfather, though I don't believe it to be quite that old. I looked at hallmarks at on a few websites, it appears that the assay office was Chester and that it is Sterling Silver, wondering about any more info? Not sure if you can make it out in the picture but H.Wolfe & Co, Manchester appears to be the manufacturer.
Below are a couple of pictures, for some reason I can't get the second picture to rotate but the number above the hallmarks is 31001 and there's what appears to be a small triangle with the number 2 next to it, which appears in the top of the photo.

24.jpg

25.jpg

CZHACK

Apr 28, 2005
Country
Region
"N" would indicate 1896 for Chester and that would match the style of the case. The name on the dial is likely a retailer. Enjoy.

Les harland

Apr 10, 2008
Hertfordshire England
Country
Region
Brian Loomes Watchmakers and Clock makers of the World lists:-
Wolf Henry & Co Manchester (Lancashire) 1891-8
Usually Wolfe
This ties in nicely with the Sterling Silver Hallmark for 1896

Quinn S

Dec 2, 2011
Thanks for the help! Any ideas what the CH an the two numbers would indicate? Also, I can perhaps take another picture but I'm wondering how to open it so I can see the movement? Once the front is opened there appears to be a hinge on the top of the face, so I would imagine it opens that way, however I tried gently to open it that way and I'm nervous to apply to much force.

MartyR

Dec 16, 2008
UK
Country
CH are the initials of the casemaker. Unfortunately I can't find that mark in Priestley, but then again Chester makers are often unfindable because many Chester records were lost (I think in a fire).

Diametrically opposite the hinge you mention on the front you will see a small nib (a protruding piece of steel) sticking out to the side of the dial. Press this in towards the centre of the watch with a fingernail (dial up and fingernail down) and lift the dial with your fingernail - it will hinge up on that hinge. You have what is called a consular case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carolyn Reynolds
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre