• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Please ID this Clock Help Completing Windup Movement

expeditionhiker

Jan 4, 2017
Country
Hi, before I property clean this movement, I would like help identifying what it is missing. It is a windup movement. The case it came out of says Royal Vienna, but there are no marks on the movement. the escapement assembly is missing something to slow it down, it looks like something goes in the groves of the plates. I believe this movement would be positioned like a diamond with the escapement on top. The clothes pin in the picture is miniature, the plates are only 2 1/4" wide and tall. Any help with how to build the missing pieces(if possible) would be greatly appreciated. Pictures of this movement complete would be a bonus. The age of the movement and case would be helpful also. Thankyou.

20190306_181726.jpg 20190306_181744.jpg 20190306_181819.jpg 20190306_182003.jpg

mauleg

NAWCC Member
Dec 26, 2012
Country
Your movement has a lever escapement that is missing the balance wheel assembly. Your best bet is to find a similar movement with a balance wheel that will fit between the wheel mounts at the top of the unit, marked in red here:
movementnobal.jpg

The balance wheel assembly in a complete movement looks like this:
movementbal.jpg
Note that the assembly includes the balance wheel, hair spring and regulator sub-assembly.

I do not believe that that movement belongs with that case; the case is designed to accept a round movement, possibly French, like this one:

jfr.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anthracite
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent