• We are aware of the performance issues with the forum. These are due to problems with Comcast's shared lines in the Columbia, PA area. On December 15, we signed a contract to bring a dedicated fiber line to the forum servers. It should take somewhere between 30 and 90 days to install. Thank you for your patience.

Help, Big Ben butts in on Android!!

HorologyBuff

Nov 7, 2021
Country
I've tried two Big Ben strike apps so far and they both interrupt any music I'm playing on a music app. Are there any Big Ben phone apps that don't bother you while The Beatles or Frank Sinatra is playing?

The clock "BONG!" app if smartly designed should leave you alone while talking on the telephone, running an active music player (unless the player is on PAUSE) or running any other sound app.

Yes, one could shut the app off by hand, but SMART phones are supposed to do things smartly.

I don't want to hear Big Ben go BONG! while Eleanor Rigby or Bach's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor is playing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Calvin H. Huynh

leeinv66

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Mar 31, 2005
Launceston Tasmania
Country
Region
Like it or not, Smart phones are today's clocks and watches to many people. One definition of Horology is: the study and measurement of time. Who says the measurement tool has to be a clock or watch? Would a post about sundials be out of place on these forums? I don't think so.

HorologyBuff

Nov 7, 2021
Country
Ok, a smartphone is largely a chronometer today as well as a camera, a video viewer and a hand-held calculator. It's the Swiss army knife of portable electronic gadgets. Now back to my wonders about better striking/chiming apps. Many people here are probably fond of the sound of striking clocks and want to carry that esthetic wherever they go. The Android phone makes a good platform. Now the shortcoming is a lack of better chiming clock apps that don't interfere with music playback or other audio apps. The Big Ben GONG effect should have the least priority of all phone audio apps. It should be silent automatically for any music playback in progress, voice messaging, notifications, alarms and telephone conversations underway. An ideal Big Ben BONG app would yield to all other active sound apps and at least have a custom setting to do this. The smartphone is as much a personal headphone stereo (today's walkman) as it is a clock and calendar.

Last edited:

HorologyBuff

Nov 7, 2021
Country
I've just downloaded and installed a Big Ben bonger software [Aquarius Soft PC Big Ben Chimes Professional] on my Windows 10 PC in my home office. I've just ordered a proper clock: a Bulova Dalton pendulum quartz table clock with church bell sound [Westminster, Ave Maria, DING-DONG] to hang in the living room near the hallway. The Seiko's chimes over my front door will then be silenced. The C battery should last longer that way. The little Dalton uses 3 AA batteries which I have a NiMH charger for.

Last edited:

bobby2003

NAWCC Member
Nov 1, 2010
Country
I think unless you can use a selective Do Not Disturb setting on the phone I thought that's the way it's supposed to work. I assume the same thing happens if you get a phone call while listening to something. The music gets interrupted.

HorologyBuff

Nov 7, 2021
Country
I think unless you can use a selective Do Not Disturb setting on the phone I thought that's the way it's supposed to work. I assume the same thing happens if you get a phone call while listening to something. The music gets interrupted.
That feature doesn't prioritize one sound app over another. One Big Ben Bong app I've tried has the option to allow bongs during telephone conversations but there is no option to silence bong thru active music player playback. I would design a bong app not to interfere with active music/video playback unless such media players were on pause setting. Bong should not sound during an active audio/video recording also.

Ideally, I'd only want the phone to bong the time while sitting idle on my desk or carried in my pocket or while using a non-audio/video app like the calculator or still camera. I don't like computer Windows system sounds to bother me while using multimedia/gaming programs/websites.

MuseChaser

NAWCC Member
Feb 5, 2019
Country
Region
If only Big Ben would be similarly sensitive and considerate to those desiring not to be interrupted by its annoying sounds, simply sounding when one desired to listen to it. Horology at its finest.

Are you sure you're an horology buff?

HorologyBuff

Nov 7, 2021
Country
If only Big Ben would be similarly sensitive and considerate to those desiring not to be interrupted by its annoying sounds, simply sounding when one desired to listen to it. Horology at its finest.

Are you sure you're an horology buff?
Listening to the real Big Ben in London is not the same as having a BONG sound right in one's headset as he is listening to Wagner, Vivaldi, Chicago, Pink Floyd or some other music. Of course, Iron Maiden's Rime of the Ancient Mariner and Hallowed Be Thy Name as well as AC/DC's Hell's Bells has big church bell bongs in the recordings. I guess I'm more of "a charming clock" buff than an "horology buff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Genda
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller