Help About this Regula 701 Movement??

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Any of y'all care to give me some kind words about the Regula 701 movement before I tear into it? This is the first one I've run into. That strange business with the music box looks worrisome

Any hints or wise sayings you can give me, before I plunge into grief? What sort of troubles am I likely to encounter, etc.?

bangster

701-1.jpg 701-2.jpg

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Make sure you understand how it works before you take it apart. It is relatively simple, a better design than most musical cuckoos.

LaBounty

NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 29, 2002
Mitchell, NE
www.abouttime-clockmaking.com
Country
Region
These have the usual problems with plated pivots but they also suffer from a major depthing problem high up in the music train. I can't remember exactly but I think it is between 4th and 5th gears.

Also, don't loose the small ball bearing inside the lower worm bearing hole when you disassemble the fly bridge. The only thing holding it in place is the arbor.

Adjusting the music warning hook is a real pain too. I adjust it rather deep so it just nips the warning pin as the music is playing. If it is adjusted so the hook clears the pin at any point other than warning, the music will sometimes skip warning and play during the cuckoo process.

I believe these movements are still available...

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Looks like someone might have modified your fly. I've seen two different styles though, so yours might be a third :)

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Looks like someone might have modified your fly. I've seen two different styles though, so yours might be a third :)
It looks a lot like the AM72/12 movement in the BFI catalog, which appears to have tall "wings" similar to these.

bangster

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region
Thanks y'all, especially LaB, for the input. I shall put it to good use.

bangster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller