hello,my fathers pocket watches well whats left of them

sirio

Nov 5, 2011
hi there i'm looking for a little advice.my father was a watchmaker in Italy
when he came to Scotland he could not bring all his watchmaking things with him,around 38 year ago so a couple of year ago we went on holiday
we decided to drive and bring home some of my dads things.his little workshop was still there in my grans attic he later passed away as time
passed my mother decided to move some of his things on so a watchmaker from Glasgow came down,my mother was in alone he told her
well the thing is they aren't worth much but i can give you £50 for the lot
so she said yes aaaahhhh there goes my dads collection of pocket watches about 25 of them and a tissot watch and who knows what else there was in the boxes.anyway i found a box with three more watches
all in need of repair mostly i just would like to no what i have and are they worth repairing or just scrap them.
is this one gold or brass it only needs a glass and hours hand
68.jpg
69.jpg
70.jpg
71.jpg
watch 2
72.jpg
73.jpg
74.jpg
eny one read italian i think its italian

75.jpg
numbers are 84418
76.jpg
77.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Welcome to the NAWCC web site and thanks for posting good pictures.

Sadly I can't give you good news. The gold colored watch is gold filled. The 20 years is the wear through warranty. The movement inside is low grade. Think of ot as an economical, utility watch that has done its service.

The silver cased watch is better grade and by a good maker Perrin. It is in very bad shape. The dial can be improved and new hands added and the rust removed at cost far above any value the watch would have in restored condition.

Since it is a legacy it may have sentimental value but neither watch is worth either scrapping or getting restored as an economic venture.

I suspect they are customer's watches, abandoned when he gave them the news you are getting now.

jfl

NAWCC Member
May 1, 2006
The Perrin watch if all coin silver and approximately 50 grams of silver would be worth ~ $56 if scrapped. If the balance is still functional there are collectors out there that may want the pinset movement to restore another watch. It is not worthless! JFL

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I apologize for giving you the impression that watches are worthless.

I wanted to warn you against spending a lot of money on them

We do not advocate scrapping on this board but they are yours to keep or dispose of as you please.

As I wrote I think they were left by a a previous owner who did not want to spend the money on repairs. Whether that makes the sentimental value or the scrap value prefereble is you choice.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmendoza
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions