Hello from me and my ( Grandfather's ) Clock

John Fitzgerald

Apr 6, 2021
Country
Hi all,

Firstly, thanks for having this novice as a member.

I inherited this clock from my Aunt around 1976 or so. It had belonged to my Grandfather, who I never med and who died in 1957, 8 years before I was born.

Legend has it, that only the old man knew how to keep it going, a story I'm sure you've all heard a million times before.

You see the clock as I got it in 1976 and in all that time, it's moved house with me many times but never ever had work to get it operational again. I guess I was waiting on the right moment and being brave enough to look into what I had. I'm not here to make it perfect and value is absolutely irrelevant. It was Grandad's clock, it's going nowhere.

What I've established over the last few days of searching (After 45 years of ownership...) is as follows.

It's a Gustav Becker with the logo suggesting 1894-2003 ?
The movement is marked P54.

I now understand that there are substantial parts of the case missing. I'm going to say with some confidence that those parts were never there in all the time he had it. He would have bought the clock in the 40s and this was in the local pub where he paid a few shillings for it. The removable pediment that I now know about was never ever there, nor were the finials.

( I'm looking into recreations or replacement old parts if I can find them.)

The pendulum leader is missing, but I think I've sourced the correct one and I'm waiting on it coming along with a suspension spring.)

The escapement anchor is broken, sliding about in the pivot.

You'll see that the face really is quite beaten up. IMG_4440.jpg IMG_4441.jpg IMG_4446.jpg IMG_4450.jpg That's kinda where we are.If anyone feels like chipping in with extra info, this novice would be delighted to hear from you. Especially with what might be the design of the missing parts.Thanks for reading !!

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
This is a rather common movement.

The best thing you could do would be to purhase a like movement with a good dial.
Then you should have the necessary parts to hopefully make one good movement/dial.

The top piece may be a little more difficult. If you find one, it probably won't match the case. Someone will probably post what your top piece once looked like.

Welcome to the MB,. Willie X

John Fitzgerald

Apr 6, 2021
Country
Willie,
Thank you for your advice, it's very much appreciated.
I've already started the painstaking process of scouring for parts to suit exactly as you describe.

It's likely that I'll take the clock to a local repairer, but I'm one of those owners who isn't quite good enough to do the all of the work myself but doesn't mind doing some of it.

The fine adjustment of the escapement is likely something that would elude me at this early stage, but I'll listen to all good advice.

John Fitzgerald

Apr 6, 2021
Country
Excellent detective work !!

That's pretty much the case and movement right there.

Regarding the pediment section, there has been much discussion in the house about this.

Neither an Eagle nor a Horse have met with approval by the household steering committee.

Given that it essentially slots into place with not permanent changes to the case, it's entirely possible we might make some custom piece that means something to us.

Edited to add,

Yes, there are many finials !!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rob aust
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre