Heirloom Clocks

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by heirloomclocks, Sep 17, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. heirloomclocks

heirloomclocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 21, 2005
    Hello all,

Tran's Waterbury Book notes that the Leipsic model was produced in an oak case. Ehrhardt's Third Edition to Antique Clocks says that walnut may have been used in the Leipsic production. Has anyone seen this model in any wood other than oak or know of a source indicating other than oak as the case wood? In addition to responses here please feel free to email me at: carl@heirloomclocks.net

Thanks in advance for your replies.
    Carl

2. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    Vol. 2 to Tran's Waterbury (publ. 2013) shows the Leipsic from the 1898 catalogue; the description says, i.a., "Oak or walnut."

3. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    According to "The Official Price Guide to Antique Clocks", only the 8 day striking model was made in Walnut.

4. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Ne’er do well
    Here and there
    Country Flag:
    I'm not sure what this means exactly. The 1898 catalogue mentions 8-day time only, 8-day time and strike, and 30-day time only, with no distinction between oak or walnut for any of those options. The 1917 catalogue (vol. 1 of Tran) mentions 8-day time and strike and 30-day time only as options, but the case was only in oak.

So, I can't be sure of the accuracy of the price guide you mention, but at least Carl's inquiry has been answered.

The