Swiss PW Hebdomas PW Parts Needed

Discussion in 'Watch Repair' started by jantonio94, Feb 27, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. jantonio94

jantonio94 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    So, I have a Hebdomas Pocket watch that was fully disassembled that belonged to my grandfather. It seems to be missing the main spring, the bridel and the hair spring. I really don't know much about watches, but I would really like to get this watch working. I have put it back together with the help of youtube to see what is missing and those three parts seem to be it. I have located several listings on ebay but it seems I have an unusual size main spring barrel. It's 35mm. Not sure about the hair spring but I do have the balance wheel. I have attached a photo of the watch if anyone can tell me a little more about it and if there is anyone out there with info to obtain the items I need or if they know anyone that repairs them.

IMG_1750.JPG IMG_1753.JPG

2. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Agree, you seem to have a small version. I just checked my movements and they were all about 40mm....

I don't know where to find parts but the mainspring is quite long. It takes for ever to wind. Some 150 turns on the crown...... Also there is a slipping function in the mainspring. An additional piece on the outer turn makes the mainspring slip so you can not wind it to a full stop. First time I notised this I thought I broke it, but not so! (I can't guarantee you have this in your smaller version...)

The worst part to find is probably the hairspring. (I don't know what a bridel is!) Personally, I would look for a donor movement for your parts .......

Good luck with your mwatch....

3. jantonio94

jantonio94 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hey Skutt50,
    The bridel is the outer part of the main spring that slips when you overwind. I have looked everywhere for a donor and they are the same size as yours.

4. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Skutt,

This piece is usually known as the bridle.

Regards,

Graham

5. Skutt50

Skutt50 Registered User

Mar 14, 2008
    Male
    Gothenburg
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for the explination.... I Googled and found it was something for a horse. I gave up and exposed my poor knowledge, but that is how we learn.......

6. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Skutt,

Yes, so it is, but quite what the derivation is for that piece of a mainspring I have no idea, it certainly doesn't resemble a piece of leather horse tack.

Regards,

Graham

7. Icarus723

Icarus723 Registered User

Oct 15, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I hope I’m not too late to the party I this topic.

one of the best features on the Hebdomas 8d watch I think. I try to be very delicate with most of my watches and am always concerned that a split second of over winding will snap a mainspring. This slip feature in the Hebdomas watch is a great added precaution to help prevent a costly replacement.

Since we are talking about these watches, I have a couple of these Hebdomas that need new hair springs but it’s either quite difficult or costly to find a good fitted replacement. Anyone have any bestfit model numbers they can direct me to or something similar that will do the job?

thanks.

8. Jerry Kieffer

Jerry Kieffer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

May 31, 2005
    Male
    wisconsin
    Country Flag:
    I also would suggest a donor movement as skutt has suggested. I think it will be a necessity if for no other reason than part designed to copy.

As others have mentioned the Hairspring is the major issue thus the donor movement as a start.

The mainspring and bridal are quite easily made if equipped to do so and have an idea of specifications. The mainspring is the easiest part to make if not available.

Personally, I use blue tempered shim stock trimmed slightly over width with a carbide scissors or sheared. I then, coil it up in a steel washer and mount it on a magnetic chuck in a small milling machine per attached photo example. (spring would be where the wheel is) From this point, I grind it to exact desired width.
    Center hole is formed before grinding and other holes/spring attachments are formed or spot welded on after grinding with a dental spot welder.

Good Luck
    Jerry Kieffer

fullsizeoutput_39e.jpeg