• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Hebdomas Pocket Watch

Hudson777

Oct 2, 2008
I am going to fix an 8 day hebdomas watch for a friend of mine. Does anyone know how to remove the mainspring/barrel from the movement? It appears it is held in by a screw at the center, but there is no spot for the screw driver, instead there are two holes and it appears some special tool is needed. Any suggestions?

CZHACK

Apr 28, 2005
Country
Region
I could be wrong but given the 8 day duration spring power - extra care should be taken. Good luck. Mike

Hudson777

Oct 2, 2008
what type of tool has holes like that? I looked on ebay and saw some parts for sale. It appears the little ring with the two holes is attached to the barrel. So when I unscrew the area with the two holes, should I expect the whole barrel to rotate off?

sderek

Jan 8, 2009
USA
Country
Region
I've owned a 2 of these watches. I had one that was missing the threaded piece with the 2 holes, and the barrel was a separate piece.

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi Hudson!
The center piece with the two holes is a nut indeed,coming off counterclockwise.It is designed for a respective special tool that fits into the holes.As You (and I )don´t have it we have to improvize.I usualy take an old metall-workers circle,the tips tapered verry thin.The barrel has teeth and a click outside,sometimes hidden in the rim of the case.If let down completely the spring isn´t more dangerous than others in a barrel.HTH
Burkhard

Hudson777

Oct 2, 2008
Thanks

I took the whole thing apart. The original problem was that the mainspring seemed to be slipping as one winds it up tightly. Now when I look in the barrel, it seems like it is designed to "slip" with little notches spaced out in the barrel, and the end of the mainspring hooking to a metal strip which has a notch in the end to fit in the barrel slot. Am I missing something here? Is it supposed to slip as it gets wound up?

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Yes,Hudson,they´re supposed to slip.Sometimes they´re advertised as "unbreakable"on the barrel.When I bought my first-in my honeymoon in Belgium-I was quiet scared when I noticed the slipping first time.My first reaction was:Ok,You´ve bought a beautifull watch and within two hours You´ve broken it :bang:But the watch didn´t stop!I was so glad when coming home I saw what had realy happened!
Burkhard

Hudson777

Oct 2, 2008
Two problems:

Now that I cleaned it, it seems the mainspring slips much faster once I start winding it then before the cleaning. What should I do? I doubt I'll get 8 days out of it now.

Second, before the cleaning, when I wound the watch and it was a very smooth wind.. Now it feels like a grinding from the click onto the teeth of the barrel. Are the barrel teeth supposed to be VERY lubricated with some type of grease? I put some KT-22 on it which made it a little better, but I'm not sure if I put too little in. It almost seems like I should pack the teeth with it, but I dont remember there being so much residue when I clean it.

Thanks

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
Hi Hudson,
I had the same experiance too:The spring has probably set a little ,wipe it allmost dry and be prepared to have it run 5-6 days.Otherwise You have to replace the spring.
I do remember having that problem too:There is some possibility of adjustment either on the stem side or on the barrel side(a spring,a washer or something like it,I don´t remember)I´m not a professional,and I know I tackeled quiet a bit till I had it running smothly.It´s not a question of more lubrification!
Here´s the pic of my dayly companion!
Burkhard

Attachments

Hudson777

Oct 2, 2008
Burkhard,

Thanks. Would the washer go under the click spring, or under the barrel somehow? I don't have any pieces left over after taking this apart. I don't even think I removed the click spring when I cleaned it. After I put the grease on the teeth, it made it VERY smooth. The problem is I know it is going to gunk up. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent