Hebdomas Calendar and date pocket watch.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region
I'm really surprised I cannot any information on these watches, I have tried,The history of the Swiss Hebdomes date and Calender pocket watch, also The different models of Antique Hebdomes date and Calender pocket watches, without finding a single thing?
I no they are very collectable watches,I have the chance of buying one from a house clearance from a friend. Not a silver one but has a dulled silver look to it and has the three dials.inside the back cover is the back of the movement in a dull gold colour with writing on it.it is working fine and has a great shiny dial unmarked.
I could really do with all the information I can get before agreeing a price, can any one help me.Richard.
Just tried to insert the b in Hebdomes with out any luck, I can see the gap the b should be in, I typed that correctly so cannot understand the mistake?

Last edited:

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Re: He domes Calender and date pocket watch.

It would probably help to correct the spelling. It is not He Domes, or Hebdomes, but Hebdomas.

If you google 'Hebdomas Pocket Watches', you will get a lot of photos and prices that will tell you what you need to know.

Without seeing a picture of the one you are considering buying, it is impossible to give any information about that particular watch.

JTD

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Thanks JTD, that will help, sure my eyesight is failing me, because I've just checked what I was copying from paper and I had the correct spelling.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Well I have agreed a price for the watch, which I will collect on Friday, I would like to post a similair photo off the web, but cannot find a way to do it on my IPad.Richard

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Hi. Finally managed it via my computer,this is a image of the pocket watch i am buying on Friday from a friend, as i said before it came from a house clearance, he has partly wound it up and all seems fine, but i will wind it right up and see for myself that it is okay before paying, not much else i can do.
It does look very new , but will ask if you can date it for me.now to the money, i have offered £400 pounds and feel it is the right offer, he wouldn't sale it at £350 to another guy who wanted it.Richard

eight-day-hebdomas-calendar-pocket-watch.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gmorse

NAWCC Member
Jan 7, 2011
Breamore, Hampshire, UK
Country
Region

Hi Richard,

Is this the actual watch you're buying, or is it an image of a similar piece from the internet, (it looks to me like the latter)? We can't discuss values here, it's agin the forum rules.

Regards,

Graham

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Hi Graham, no I'm buying one the same as the image.Unable to edit my post and remove the referance to the cost.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region

I consider the price remark to be an historical reference since you have already agreed it and did not ask for advice. :)

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Thank you Tom.I have a question, how do you adjust the date and month, or are they just for show?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region

I am not sure, but I think they are adjusted by moving the hand. I do not recall any pushers to control them. I do not own one myself. The broken hand is tentative evidence that my theory is correct. :(

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country

These subsidiary dials (day and date - yours does not have months) are certainly not just for show, they should work.

You can change the date by using the button to turn the hands of the clock, and the date will advance each 24 hours. I think Tom is right that you can change the day by just moving the hand manually but I am not sure.

Hebdomas are still in business, an extremely high class firm, and you could always contact them for any particular information (info@hebdomas.net). Looking at their website I think your watch dates from about 1910.

Hope this helps.

JTD

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Have now collected my watch see photos, by pulling the stem out that will advance the date and day, they do not change togeather, they change 12hrs apart.I did wind the watch up,got to 180 turns and give up, Will see how long it runs for on that,at about 3 o'clock on the rim of the barell you can see the click meshed in with the gear wheel.
Everything is working as it should be,the dial is perfect, the marks for the advance and retard can be seen under the watch dial.The crystal cover is fixed shut, so I can only think you have to remove the movement to adjust?
As for age following what is engraved on the movement it is 1910?
On the back cover is engraved a G88 don't know what this means.
I have also included in my photos the Auction room I go to on a Saturday, always very interesting, can buy almost anything,I'm always looking for cars for my great nephew,had some good clock buys there.The couple in the photo are the owners.To me it's a little den to escape to.
Hope I'm not going to get my ear hole bent showing what I have.

Attachments

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

This is a video of the pocket watch.sorry won't upload it was only about 10seconds long?

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country

The date 1910 on the back is the date when the makers won a gold medal at an exhibition in Brussels. So you can know your watch is after 1910.

You certainly wouldn't have to remove the movement to adjust the subsidiary dials. There must be another way which a person more expert than I in pocket watches will tell us, I am sure.

JTD

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Hi JTD, if you read my post you will find I have adjusted the day and date by pulling the stem post right out.its the regulater that it would be advantages to get access to.There is only one hinge for the back cover nothing else.
possibly the front screws off but there is no tell tell line to indicate the front screws off.The wwwhebdomas.com site doesn't give much,but I have got a email address I will try, to be honest there is little indeed to find on line.will see what the email approach can give. Richard.

Last edited:

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Hi Davy, it's in Chatham, Can you pm me for further details.Richard.

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region

if you open the bezel you'll find two levers to adjust date and day.
bezel is not screw but only snap on.
hebdomas.jpg
hope this help
regards enrico

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Hi Eri231, you will see in my post no12 that I found out how to adjust day and date,by pulling the stem right out.
I got some answers to my questions now,having emailed Hebdomas.A Mr Hebdomas Montres himself kindly replied,I am now friends on Facebook.He has dated the watch after 1920 but said the logo on the dial is a older one.He also confirmed I need to unscrew the dial cover to adjust regulator.His Facebook page is full of information,including the videos of a watch being made.Richard.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country

I'm glad you followed up my suggestion to contact the company by e-mail and that you got such a helpful response.

However, I am puzzled by the reference to 'Mr. Hebdomas Montres'. This just means Hebdomas Watches and is the name of the company in French.

Anyway, I am glad that you have got answers to your questions and I like the watch very much. I hope you will continue to enjoy it for a long time.

JTD

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Hi JTD, yes I am a bit confused myself but I found the email on the Hebdomas web page.At least I got my answers as you say.It is very difficult to find much information at all on the web.

binman

Nov 16, 2011
Chatham England
Country
Region

Well I wound the watch fully up,some 200 hundred turns last Saturday evening and it has run until 9pm tonight Friday that's 7days,I was expecting As it says 8 day, but for a watch of its age not bad, might need a service.Richard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
00035Skip
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller