Heath Chronometer Restoration

FloridaLou

May 26, 2008
Hello All,

I recently bought a Heath & Co Limited (New Eltham London S.E.) Hezzanith Chronometer.

The faceplate has the number 27882 on the front and the number 10210 on the other side (inside). Any idea as to the age of this clock?

While I intend to have the clock works professional restored, I would like to restore the rest of it myself. Any ideas who does professional work in my area (Mount Dora FL 32757)?

The mahogany case at some point has been refinished and I think with some work it can be made to look nice.

However, it is missing the brass nameplate that was on the outside of the box, any ideas where I can find another or get another made or what they looked like?

Should I remove the sickly orange colored lacquer and recoat with stay bight or another substance? What should I clean it with?

It’s missing the winding key, where can I get another appropriate key?

Also how does one adjust the time setting on this type of clock?

I know I’m asking a lot of questions but I have a lot of questions, all constructive advice is appreciated.

Thanks

Lou
:?|

Chris

NAWCC Business
Nov 4, 2001
Ellsworth, Maine
clocksbychristopher.com
Country
Region
Lou:

Have you checked Google images by keyword search like "Heath Chronometer" or "Hezzanith Chronometer" ? If you do, you may find some pics that show the brass plate and how others have maintained their brass finishes.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment