Hazards of showing off one's clock on Zoom!

NigelW

Jan 2, 2015
London and Kent
Country
During a Zoom discussion earlier today with fellow members of my clock club I though I would talk about the oak case of my c. 1755 Nathanial Hedge of Colchester longcase (a restoration project yet to be started). After talking about the hood and showing it closer range to my PC's camera I placed it back on the table behind me - or so I thought. A few seconds later there was a large crash and it was on the floor in about two dozen pieces.

All is not lost. Few bits are actually broken (the door and glass are untouched); it's mainly just fallen apart, revealing a most interesting construction. The arch into which the door fits was made with a thin piece of hand sawn oak veneer supported by about 16 glue blocks. The veneer broke in one place but can be mended. I think these bits are original, as is (probably) the moulding which covered it other the modern gold paint applied to it. The arch spandrels look new (the right hand one came adrift) and I think the top mouldings and all the paraphernalia above are later additions, but not necessary recent ones.

643022012416_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=1480c5&_nc_ohc=kK0vSXDMK14AX9BswnF&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

tracerjack

NAWCC Member
Jun 6, 2016
Lodi, CA
Country
Region
Thank goodness it wasn't worse. Lesson learned for you, and now for the rest of us, who forewarned will hopefully not have to personally experience such a thing.

klokwiz

NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Country
Region
Nigel, glad it wasn't worse.. It's amazing how things appear to be something and then are quite different when looking closer. I was recently in a museum and an Egyptian sarcoficus with damage reveled its internal construction which was so much cheap wood framing and paper mache. A lot of these hoods were of very light construction I have found. Joe

you should post a few more photos of case

NigelW

Jan 2, 2015
London and Kent
Country
you should post a few more photos of case
The case, pre-crash, is in the first pic. The other three are all clocks of about the same date from the same town, the last having a movement by the same maker too. The plinth on mine is modern. Not only was it not fitted straight relative to the trunk but by comparison with the others it is not tall enough nor has a bold enough skirting around the bottom. I like the proportions of the clock with the caddy top and one possibility could be to add one.

Case1.jpg Case 2.jpg case 3.jpg case 4.jpg

klokwiz

NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Country
Region
Nigel, You say the Plinth ( I assume this is the very top decoration ) is modern and not original? It appeared to me to be out of place as well as broken. Are you going to remove this? Joe

zedric

NAWCC Member
Aug 8, 2012
Country
Region
Nigel, You say the Plinth ( I assume this is the very top decoration ) is modern and not original? It appeared to me to be out of place as well as broken. Are you going to remove this? Joe
The plinth is the base...

klokwiz

NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Country
Region
Zedric, thanks for that. So little time so much to learn. Joe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member