Hayter of Bath, 12" wooden dialled drop dial.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I was the under bidder on this clock last year. I had intended to bid more after I received pictures but I didn't realise when they turned up it was the same day as the auction.

Then it appeared again in an auction held this week. the case had been polished the movement serviced and new gut line installed.

I thought I would have another go and I bought it today for about what I would have increased my bid to last year but now it has had the work done. Plus they left the dial alone which is a huge plus.

I hope to get it next week. These pictures are by kind permission of the original auction house.

I only have one date for Mr Hayter in Bath of 1812, which is a bit early and according to Bellchambers he was both in Bristol and Bath, the give a date for 1819 in Bristol. There they have him as W Hayter. I would have thought it was more like the right date, I would have thought 1820s.

66533_0.jpg 65864_0.jpg 65863_8.jpg IMG_4045 (1).jpg IMG_4042.jpg IMG_4046.jpg IMG_4043 (1).jpg IMG_4047.jpg

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Nice clock, and rare movement. I suppose the movements for wood dials were a little bit light? The movement on your Muston clock is a monstrous sized movement.
Looks like you got lot of pics, so hopefully no bad surprises. I see the dial glass has been re-puttied. I've seen where people use silicone to re-putty the glass which is infuriating, and a total turn-off.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I think this is plaster of paris which is what it should be. There were not many pics of the clock in the auction today.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
1020 is with a dealer now for rather more. I haven't seen 1019 come up, may be with a collector.

Yes I agree I think it explains the 1812, I think this is around 1820 though the hands may be the ones Ron Rose puts as 1805/10

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
There have been several Vulliamy drop dials sold similar to lot 1019.

I mentioned the movement in this clock is rare. I did find a similar movement in an example by James Condliff:
Which is a very fine clock. I reckon Condliff must have been in his late 20s - early 30s when this clock was manufactured. It's amazing what clockmakers did at such young ages, at least in my opinion.
But it also gives an idea of another clock which is contemporary to yours.

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
Then it appeared again in an auction held this week. the case had been polished the movement serviced and new gut line installed.
A very nice clock! I think they replaced the gut with a metal cable. Do you intend to replace it with gut?

Uhralt

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
A very nice clock! I think they replaced the gut with a metal cable. Do you intend to replace it with gut?

Uhralt
No these are the pics from the first auction last year, the buyer replaced the nasty metal cable with gut.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Ahh, good for you!

Uhralt
I'm very lucky, whoever bought it at the first auction not so lucky.

This is my third wooden dial too, now I have drum, dial, and drop dial, and 10",12" and 13". Also dial painted directly on surround and separate wooden dial screwed through surround. I think I have pretty much got the wooden dial options covered.

Reactions: Uhralt

Uhralt

NAWCC Member
Sep 4, 2008
Country
Region
I'm very lucky, whoever bought it at the first auction not so lucky.

This is my third wooden dial too, now I have drum, dial, and drop dial, and 10",12" and 13". Also dial painted directly on surround and separate wooden dial screwed through surround. I think I have pretty much got the wooden dial options covered.
That sounds exciting! Do you also have one with the double dial (front and back)?

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
That sounds exciting! Do you also have one with the double dial (front and back)?
That's one of the few dial clock styles I would never have, we live in a small bungalow with 8 foot ceilings, nowhere to display it.

jmclaugh

Jun 1, 2006
Devon
Country
Region
Another nice one. Loomes has the following. two with the name Hayter, no first name for either, one at Bath 1819, the other at Wells early 19th C, John Hayter Bristol 1812-19 and John 'Junior' Hayter Wells early 19th C.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I think from what I have found that it is likely to be John Junior.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
This turned up today, very pleased with it. Very heavy concave brass bezel, untouched wooden dial, in the style where the surround and dial are one piece and the dial is given a shallow convex form. Working lock on the bezel, no lock on the bottom door which has been filled when the lock was removed. Pendulum has an old repair. Will take more pics

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
Ah, once again it seems you have the wooden dial market covered ! A very nice piecethough, and much less common for me particularly is the concave form bezel. May it arrive soon!
David

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Oh it arrived yesterday Dave. The concave bezel was the first style of brass bezel used, following on from wooden bezels. This is a particularly heavy cast bezel. I have five clocks with concave bezels from 1790s to about 1820. It is my favourite style, even more than wood I think which necessarily has to be rather chunky.

Reactions: Ralph

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
One thing I had not picked up from the pictures is that it doesn't have one falseplate but two. One for the top two dial feet, one for the bottom two.They have been skilfully set into the back of the dial/surround and there is also a very neat section cut out for the motion work. It also has a working lock in the bezel which is pretty unusual as they are often missing on these concave bezels. Later bezels the lock is in the surround.

Micam100

NAWCC Member
Nov 11, 2019
Country
Region
One thing I had not picked up from the pictures is that it doesn't have one falseplate but two. One for the top two dial feet, one for the bottom two.They have been skilfully set into the back of the dial/surround...
Interesting, I’d like to see some photos of that, if possible, when you post your own pictures.

Michael

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Very neatly done, three screws each and set into the back of the dial. I like the dial, perfect, displaying its age and carrying it off well.

Michael

I agree, it is very neat, the cutout for the cock on the motion work too. Sometimes it looks like somebody chewed holes in the wood but all of this was well done. The dial is just perfect as you say, I was very lucky the guy who beat me the first time didn't touch it. the only thing I lost out on between auctions was it lost the winding key.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
I'm not a huge fan of ears, but then I don't usually go for drop dials, certainly not full size ones. I only have one clock with them and that is a 10".

I have noticed these though. Did this clock have ears?

20210324_175308.jpg 20210324_175255.jpg

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I would say yes it did have ears. Due to the visible vertical line of dirt.
We had conversations about ears, I didn't suggest this one had ears because to me it is an early drop dial of a wood dial type, and I'm not used to seeing them.
Perhaps this clock's price was a little affected, then. In my opinion it doesn't need the ears (your opinion, too).

This Kirby clock has unusual ears, I think a little later than Hayter.

If Hayter had side ears, I imagine because of his age the ears looked similar to those found on tavern clocks (above links).

Funny this came up now, I bought a clock (you have now) that I knew was missing ears. Being about 10 years younger, my clock probably had the fan type that would have been appropriate with it's brass inlaid trunk.

daveR

NAWCC Member
Sep 10, 2008
melbourne, Australia
Country
Region
I thinkI am with Chris here, and for pretty much the same reason. Presumably someone thought the same as you though Nick, and removed them.
I am with you as well, i am not the greatest fan of ears. Some areOK, others just not. Your clock will be better without.

Chris Radano

Feb 18, 2004
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Just a thought.....
If anyone in your circle has a similar old drop dial with the correct style of ears, maybe you can get a tracing. Then have your case maker cut a pair for Hayter.
It may add substantial value to you clock, to the tune of 75-100% increase.
We recently saw a Dwerrihouse & Carter wood dial sell at an auction, that was a larger clock than Hayter but also much more expensive. Probably the two clocks had similar styles of ears, though.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
That Yonge is lovely.

On your clock you have patches a different colour, so I assume they were glued on, this seems to have holes for screws.

I think on my 10" the ears are glued on. I'll ask Scott the cabinet maker how they used to be fixed.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I'm not a huge fan of ears, but then I don't usually go for drop dials, certainly not full size ones. I only have one clock with them and that is a 10".

I have noticed these though. Did this clock have ears?

View attachment 645441 View attachment 645442
Clearly "witness marks" of something once having been present. Given the type of clock and the location of the witness marks, most likely dial clock "ears".

Thin, probably attached with glue, possibly reinforced with a small glue block(s) though in the pix, don't see evidence of the latter. Like scrolls, skirts, feet, etc. on clocks and furniture as well, vulnerable to loss or damage. I suggest something happened to those vulnerable parts, either loss or damage. Sometimes when the latter occurs, they're just removed which wouldn't be difficult.

If the decision is made to replace them, then one needs to come up with ones that would be appropriate for the "period" and case style. Looking at comparable clocks known to have retained their ORIGINAL ears would be helpful. A good cabinet maker can also provide guidance based upon his/her experience. Whatever is selected will basically be an educated guess but the goal is to make a good and appropriate one. I have seen much $$ (or pounds) spent on expensive case, tablet and dial restoration that though sometimes done to a high standard by a professional was just plain wrong and money not well spent.

By the way, GREAT clock! Really think it was a "swell" purchase! Good things come to those who wait?

RM

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Cabinet maker is calling in today on his way back from a client so I can show him. He was going to collect part of my barometer but I can't get it off. He may end up taking the bottom door of this away and refitting the lock.

I do wish people would stop removing locks and filling in the holes, just fit another lock or leave the old one bust.

P.Hageman

Jul 20, 2014
The Netherlands
Country
Once again, a very nice clock indeed! Love those wooden dial clocks, but they are very hard to find! Congratulations Nick.

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
Oh and the cabinet maker liked it. He has taken the bottom door away to refit a lock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmelfelt
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff