Help Having trouble adjusting chime warning

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Clockinit, Jan 13, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Clockinit

Clockinit Registered User

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I'm re-installing a Jauch 77 in my buddys case .The movement was working fine on the stand for days.But after the install the chimes wouldn't go into warning and chime. I have to mess with the warning lever and set screw between the plates to get the chimes to work,,,,and they either stop after 4 notes until I tweek it and then most time have to manually stop it with the lever, or if I dont it'll keep running past to the next qtr Thru the next qtr and so on...And If I do get it to go into warning and chime correctly for 3 qtrs, it won't go into warning for the hour. When I reset the chime sequence I can usually get the first 3/4 hours to behave correctly. but at the hour is where it gives me fits. If I get the hour to work correctly then the other qtrs contiue to run when it goes into warning, and then all chaos erupts and I end up having to start over with re-setting the chime sequence.Right now i got the chime sequence correct and stopped.Can you re-boot me?..or just give me a boot?

2. John P

John P Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Looking after the cats
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Chime correction is set up at the 3/4 hour position. make all adjustments from this position and it will work right.

3. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    John P...what other adjustments should I be making when the chime locking plate is at 3/4?...How do I adjust the lever behind the front plate?....the one with the set screw....The chime drum ?? In what sequence do I make these adjustments? Any others?

4. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It sounds like you may have it set wrong. What John is implying (I think) is that you have the minute hand wrong, and have the chimes set to the hand. So when you think it's not going into warning at the hour it might just be waiting for the hour from the clock's perspective.
    So, when it stops don't do anything until it starts on it's own again. That will be the hour lift, and will be where the minute hand should be pointing upward. If that works, you will just have to loosen the chime drum and adjust it to the same place. Then all should be fine.
    If it doesn't start by itself, then we have a different issue.

5. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Shutterbug...The best I can get is the clock to chime, OR go into warning by nudging the levers behind the front plate (chime warning lever and pin?).. If I tweek it as the long lever is lifting it'll usually go into warning and then will usually chime...then I usually have to do it for all subsequent quarters....usually warning isn't followed by chimes on the hour...(most times) ...what am I missing here...?

Bob

6. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    OK, it appears that wasn't the problem. How much play is there in the minute arbor? Often when they wear the arbor travels downward rather than pushing the lever upward.

7. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    no excessive movement...but here's where I'm at...I let the clock run on it's own from the 3/4 hour to the hour...it did a short warning at the hour and then it chimed, but did not strike as the chime train kept on moving, but stopped own it's own at the 3/4 hour......what to do?.....i stopped the clock and moved the hand to the 3/4 hour...that's where i'm at....

8. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    ...correction to that post ....it chimed on the hour and ran straight thru and stopped on it's own at the end of the 3/4 hour...again thats wher I'm atclock stopped and the minute hand set to the 3/4 hour...

9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #9 shutterbug, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2020
    OK, so it's not stopping at the quarter hours. I believe that movement has two levers for stopping the train. Right side, top, behind the front plate. One of them is for the 3/4 hour auto synch function. The other is for the 1/4 hour stops. Watch them to verify the one that stops the train at the 3/4 hour. Then see if you can move the other one just a tiny bit lower. That should fix you up. It takes just a little movement to make a big difference.

10. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I was thinking that's where its at...Those 2 levers.....It really is very sensative ...A LITTLE BIT either way throws it all outta whack...I only see a set screw on the one that seems to stop it at the 1/4 hours...
    how would the other one adjust?...I'll poke around a little more and see what i can do.... Thank You Sir!! I'll keep youi posted...

11. Clockinit

Nov 4, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Well it was the opposite of what I thought...The one with the set screw was my target....It took quite a few tiny-tiny adjustments, but It looks like I (we) got it....Thanks Killa'...I am very grateful for all your help !!!...

Bob

12. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You're very welcome. Glad you got it solved!