Have you heard the Word??

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by TEACLOCKS, Apr 1, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. For the new NAWCC home page
    Click this image at the upper left corner of this page.
  1. TEACLOCKS

TEACLOCKS Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well the word is---- KIENINGER is done.
    Out of business.
    No more movements.
    Mark says he has a good supply.
    Back to rebuilding plated pivot movements.

2. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    So, did H-M fold? Willie X

3. Old Rivers

Old Rivers Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 4, 2016
    North Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

I am curious where you heard this?
    On Kieninger's and Howard Miller's web sites it looks like business as usual...

Bill

NEW65 likes this.
  4. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I would suspect that H-M may have gotten out of the movement making business ... or maybe just an internet rumor?

H-M was in business, as of about three weeks ago. I know that for sure and that's all I know for sure.

Willie X

5. POWERSTROKE

POWERSTROKE Registered User

Jan 11, 2011
    #5 POWERSTROKE, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    At this point maybe an internet rumor....

6. Lynsey

Lynsey Registered User

Nov 7, 2019
    Female
    Adventurer
    South County, Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Huh. Who'da thunk? Clock movements as scarce as toilet roll. Fascinating.

Does this mean that the cost of clocks will escalate as well?

NEW65 likes this.
  7. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    #7 POWERSTROKE, Apr 2, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2020
    It means that they’ll become a rarity eventually. Everything will need to be repaired in the future. All of them.

8. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Never mind China will fill the cap with there quality movements :banghead::mallet:

NEW65 and skidog like this.
  9. TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a little more ?
    Hubert Herr is closing there doors.

10. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, in Mark Butterworth's latest email he mentioned both of those companies closing. He still has a good stock of Keniingers, but not Herr's.

11. TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thats where I got the word.

12. bangster

bangster Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 1, 2005
    utah
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How's Hermle holding up?

13. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    #13 POWERSTROKE, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
    That’s crazy. Only a matter of time until they stop making all mechanicals.

14. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    That should be a positive for Hermle and Regula, so maybe these closeings will allow them to hang on for longer.

It's bad enough to see the big companies gobbling up the smaller ones. It's terrible to see a manufacturing plant close their doors completely, especially one that been around for a long time. Sad ...

Willie X

15. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Just a rumor Funny how Howard Miller is closed during the virus, so no one can validate this.

POWERSTROKE likes this.
  16. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    Where did this info come from? I’ve scoured the internet and haven’t found any of this info available? I’m sure more folks than Butterworth have spare movements available, no?

17. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    There is nothing in this Email that says anything about closing permanently. They are closed because of the virus only.

Friends,

A lot has happened in the last quarter. First, let me say both Butterworth and Hermle are open for shipping!! If you need to change a shipping address due to any shutdowns please make certain we know.

There are no movement price increases for the 2nd quarter.

Hubert Herr is closing, but we do have good stock on their movements.

Kieninger, we just received word this morning, is closing. We built up good stock on those as well. The financial problems were the reason that it has taken a very long time to restock on a couple of items.

18. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    This sheds a lot of light on the situation. Thanks R&A

R&A likes this.
  19. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    Closed for the virus, that's not news at all. Nearly everything is closed for the virus. Geeze! Willie X

NEW65 likes this.
  20. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    #20 POWERSTROKE, Apr 3, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    They’re not out of business ?They’re closing down temporarily?

21. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, seems likely but latest is that there is a small amount of hope that Kieninger will survive the bankruptcy. We will know more around the end of May :)

22. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    "bankruptcy", "closed because of the flu", "out of business", "closed down temporarily". :screwball:

Willie X

NEW65 likes this.
  23. Thomas Sanguigni

Thomas Sanguigni Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2018
    On another site, Mark mentioned that the employees of Kieninger were trying an employee buyout.

24. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

MARK A. BUTTERWORTH Registered User
    NAWCC Life Member NAWCC Member

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Diistributor of movements and movement parts.
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    For some clarification, Hubert Herr ownership is retiring and there are no buyers. They are also in a bankruptcy according to news from Germany. We have purchased around a years supply of their movements. Regarding Kieninger, they are in a bankruptcy as well. Many of the staff received dismissal letters a week ago, but I do not know the effective date those people will be gone. There is a glimmer of hope that an investor will still emerge. We will know more by the end of May at the latest. We have also bulked up on their movements.

25. Thomas Sanguigni

Thomas Sanguigni Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 22, 2018
  26. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    Is there a link you can provide about Herr and Kieninger? I can’t find anything. Where is this info from?

27. NEW65

NEW65 Registered User

Nov 17, 2010
    Male
    Deals in modern reproduction floor clocks.
    United Kingdom
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I wonder if Hermle could take over Kieninger - they took Urgos! Lets hope that it continues on!

28. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No link. The information is I from my involvement with the two companies as a distributor.

NEW65 and POWERSTROKE like this.
  29. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    This post has created the assumption that these businesses are going out of business. Like many businesses that are temporarily closed during this virus. A bill has been passed to help out all that ask for help. So with that in mind, lets stop all the rumors and sit back and give it time. Howard Miller owns Kieninger . I don't think that Howard Miller is going to let this happen. Thus will take advantage of the package offered to them to pay employees and operation cost. Bankrupt I don't think so.

30. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    In many parts of the world "bankruptcy" is the end of the line for a business but in Germany it is the start of an all out attempt (by the government) to restructure that business so it can continue. For those that don't know, Hermle went through this process about (18) years ago.

It's strange to me that many people don't trust what a knowledgeable trustworthy person says anymore. They seem to be in disbelief until they go to some sketchy internet site to get their information. To me, this is way more frightening than the virus!!!

Mark Butterworth knows more about the German clock producers than anyone. And I'm glad he gave us the "the word" about this situation. Thanks Mark

Over and out, Willie

31. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    what sketchy internet sight? There are 0 reports of any of this? I am personally asking for a link, because there is 0% information about Herr or Kieneger. With that being said, I’m sure there are many supply houses that have these movements in stock. All we are asking for is verification.

32. Vernon

Vernon Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Dec 9, 2006
    Gardener/Arborist
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Refer to post 28, that is your direct link as it is maybe very new info.

33. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    #33 POWERSTROKE, Apr 4, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    I saw that. I find it hard to believe there is no evidence online on either company found going under. Maybe it’s my network service. please send me the links. Or maybe it’s a secret as of right now and the companies are trying to find buyers behind the scenes.

34. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
  35. TEACLOCKS

NAWCC Member

Mar 22, 2005
    Male
    Clock service & repair
    Santa Rosa Calif.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    SORRY MARK
    Lloyd

36. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No worries at all. At the time of my original email, it was not clear at all there was any hope for Kieninger. Your note was reasonable. It is only recently that a possibility of investors coming forward

NEW65 likes this.
  37. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
  38. R&A

R&A Registered User

Oct 21, 2008
    Country Flag:
    So there is a possibility that Hermle has bought out Kieninger, not because they went bankrupt. But because of financial difficulties. Sad time for Howard Miller if this is true. I'm thinking it is true. I try to do my home work before I buy into a lot of things. I for one don't jump to conclusions. And all in all. From my understanding this was suppose to be kept quiet, for the time being. So much for that huh

39. kinsler33

kinsler33 Registered User

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Regardless of the financial condition of these firms it is my personal feeling that the days of real mechanical movements are numbered. My local furniture store is stocked with many Howard Miller clocks, but most of them are electronic.

I have also seen a good many clocks with bogus mechanical movements--that is, they're quartz movements embellished with animated parts of die-cast or metal-plated plastic that move as the clock operates. Nobody much is likely to recognize that these are fake, nor would they particularly care. Nor would they prefer a clock that has to be fussed with--leveled, wound, cleaned periodically, and all the rest.

Vast improvements in digital signal processing have rendered electronic chimes fairly indistinguishable from real mechanical chimes, and there are combinations of mechanical and electronic or amplified-mechanical chimes as well. (They've been around for years, but are occupying an increasing portion of the market.)

Chris Nimon says that mechanical anniversary clocks have been gone for a few years now.

None of this should affect most practitioners, who are principally occupied with the repair of existing movements where replacement is not an option.

40. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    Sad times for clocks. I always knew that mechanicals were in their proverbial deathbed. I’ve recently seen in the past couple days the prices of movements and clocks skyrocket from where they were a week ago I’m certain auction sites.

If Herr isn’t bought out, it’s going to be a comical situation with the millions of cuckoos out there that usually get the movements swapped out.

41. MARK A. BUTTERWORTH

Jul 4, 2009
    Male
    Muscatine, Iowa 52761
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although the sale of mechanical finished clocks has been dismal, the sale of mechanical movements as replacements has been quite good. There are million of modern aging clocks in the US alone in which the movements will need a serious repair or replacement.
    Hubert Herr while missed was only a small fraction of the cuckoo movements. Regula has the large share in the marketplace
    I can say that Hermle definitely did.not buy Kieninger. Down the road maybe anything is possible

42. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    Mr. Butterworth, can you source the plastic drive wheel that sits in front of the front plate for the one day herrs?

43. Uhralt

Uhralt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 4, 2008
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It translates to: Kieninger Clocks files for bankruptcy.

Uhralt

44. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Heard about this a few weeks ago from Timesavers but did not want to say anything in case the story changed. I never worked on any modern Kieninger movements but can appreciate their older clocks for being durable and well designed.

45. Fabien Rheault

Fabien Rheault New Member

Apr 27, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hello
    just got this email from Kieninger this morning: i have hidden the contact email and complete name of my contact at kieninger germany.

''Dear Fabien,

maybe your heared that we are fighting for chapter 11.
    If we don’t find a new investor, Kieninger will be no more after June 30th.

Unfortunately, these models are not available.
    No movements to make them.
    Very sorry.''

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / With kind regards

Christine S.

Verkauf / Sales

E-Mail XXXXX@Kieninger.com

Tel. +49 (0)7424 883-113

Fax +49 (0)7424 883-200

Kieninger Uhrenfabrik GmbH

Brunnenstraße 37 / D-78554 Aldingen

RG: Stuttgart HRB 460557

www.kieninger.com

Kieninger

46. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    It might be a good investment for someone with deep pockets. I hope they find someone.

47. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, tempus fugit. We'll repair the old ones, which will be historical treasures in ten decades. By then bushings will have been long abandoned long in favor of injected epoxy pivot treatments. Someone will be able to make 3-d printed plastic parts to replace the plastic parts.

Even now you can't buy the older style Kieninger plastic cable guards--those clear plastic semi-rings that keep the cables from bird's-nesting. The newer ones don't fit older clocks, so I'll be making those out of PVC pipe or something.

48. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    They’re going to stop making bushings?

49. kinsler33

Aug 17, 2014
    Male
    Science teacher, writer
    Lancaster, Ohio, USA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sorry: No, at least not in the foreseeable future. I'm sure bushings will be available forever.

I regret to say that I made up I made up the "injected epoxy pivot treatment" without considering that people new to clock work read these posts, and for this I sincerely apologize, for it was a dumb mistake.

The point I was trying to make was that just as our present bushing systems--KWM and Bergeon and Mr Butterworth's--date back to only 1960, it's quite reasonable to expect that one hundred years hence technology will have improved so that bushings will not be necessary at all in antique clocks.

An improved system would require a fluid--not yet invented--which, upon injection into a worn pivot hole, would harden into a Teflon-like solid which would adhere to brass but not to steel as it cured. Since the steel remains free you'd only need to inject a tiny amount of the stuff into a badly-worn pivot and then, say, after exposure to ultra-violet light, it would harden and stay in the hole. No cutting of the plate is necessary.

It's science fiction, which clearly does not belong in a clock repair forum. Even so, a look inside any industrial supplies catalog--say, Grainger in the US--yields hundreds of thread-lockers, gap-fillers, and retaining compounds.

50. POWERSTROKE

Jan 11, 2011
    Ahh. Tongue in cheek. Lol. It wouldn’t be hard to believe seeing these companies going under. Anyone have any information on Hubert Herr?