English Have you heard of........

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Hilary Roscoe, Nov 6, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Hilary Roscoe

Hilary Roscoe New Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Female
    Country Flag:
    My friend has a lovely grandfather clock which came from her grandparents but she knows nothing about it. I rashly offered to look up the maker as there is a name on the front of the clock but I can find no record of it. She seems to think it may have an Irish connection. The name appears to be Bailie and underneath it says Downe which we are presuming is what is now known as County Down in Northern Ireland.

Bailie seems to be a name found in Ireland but I have not come across any clockmakers with this surname.

Any thoughts :???::???:

Thanks

Hilary

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    'the name appears to be...' ... can't tell you how many times someone has posted saying that, only to have others figure out what the actual name is. you might be right, but photos of dial, movement and case would definitely help... the bigger and clearer, the better.

novicetimekeeper likes this.
  3. Dick C

Dick C Registered User

Oct 14, 2009
    Male
    Country Flag:
  4. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Is the place Downpatrick?
    Loomes Watchmakers and Clockmakers of the World lists:-
    Baille William Downpatrick Ireland 1824

5. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Timepiece Antique Clocks Dublin have a bit about the Ballie family on their website at the bottom of the Irish Makers section

Timepiece Antique Clocks

6. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User

Jul 26, 2015
    Male
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Some names continue through families with successions of clockmakers/retailers. We need to see the clock to help with dating and originality.