English Have you heard of........

Hilary Roscoe

Nov 6, 2019
Country
My friend has a lovely grandfather clock which came from her grandparents but she knows nothing about it. I rashly offered to look up the maker as there is a name on the front of the clock but I can find no record of it. She seems to think it may have an Irish connection. The name appears to be Bailie and underneath it says Downe which we are presuming is what is now known as County Down in Northern Ireland.

Bailie seems to be a name found in Ireland but I have not come across any clockmakers with this surname.

Any thoughts :???::???:

Thanks

Hilary

bruce linde

ADMIN / MODERATOR
NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
'the name appears to be...' ... can't tell you how many times someone has posted saying that, only to have others figure out what the actual name is. you might be right, but photos of dial, movement and case would definitely help... the bigger and clearer, the better.

Reactions: novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper

Jul 26, 2015
Dorset
Country
Region
'the name appears to be...' ... can't tell you how many times someone has posted saying that, only to have others figure out what the actual name is. you might be right, but photos of dial, movement and case would definitely help... the bigger and clearer, the better.
Some names continue through families with successions of clockmakers/retailers. We need to see the clock to help with dating and originality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmvalente
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre