Haunted Golden Hour Clocks

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Both of my Golden Hour clocks will, on occasion, make a sound like someone tapping a finger on a table top. I have taken one apart, cleaned and lightly lubed the sliding parts. About a week later it was making the same noise. Both keep good time.
Does anyone have the real solution?
Many Thanks,
Dick Feldman

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Both of my Golden Hour clocks will, on occasion, make a sound like someone tapping a finger on a table top. I have taken one apart, cleaned and lightly lubed the sliding parts. About a week later it was making the same noise. Both keep good time.
Does anyone have the real solution?
Many Thanks,
Dick Feldman

J

jparker

If you have checked the dial to make sure the glass is moving smoothly, what you may have is a motor going bad. On a worn motor, the wheels will catch at certain points and cause a clicking sound. This is usually heard when the clock is powered. The motor running outside the clock may not give the clicking sound. I have heard of some people rebuilding the motors. I replace the motors. They are accessible through Time Savers. I hope this helps. Jim

Dick Feldman

Sep 1, 2000
Colorado, usa
Country
Region
Thank you all for taking time to reply.
Today I dismantled the clock making the most noise and found lots of dirt and crud. After cleaning and assembly, it is running without any noise. One day soon, I will take the other apart and clean the lubricants and dirt from it.
Best regards,
Dick

Tunderer

Nov 5, 2003
Timesavers has every part for these clocks except cords with molded strain relief. Some parts are cheaply made copies. They also have instructions for repair and maintenance of the Golden hour. Check their website. Timesavers.com

These clocks need to be kept clean. They gather dust and dirt down in around the ring gear. There should be no lubrication on the ring gear. Some have nylon plastic glides that the ring gear slides on. They run much smoother. It is worth putting them in if yours does not have them

The three little leaf springs do wear out. It is not worth trying to fabricate the springs if they are missing. A pack of three is only $2.

The brass gear on the motor can be replaced if it is worn out. It will last longer if the mesh with the ring gear is adjusted carefully.

If the ring gear is loose on the glass it can be glued back with the clear adhesive found in automotive stores used to glue rear view mirrors to windshields.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jerrydodge
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller