Harrison reproduction

Discussion in 'Clock Repair' started by Robert Gary, Nov 3, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    How does one adjust the depthing on these clocks?

20191026_161413.jpg 20191026_161526.jpg

2. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    By depthing do you mean how far the pallet engages the top wheel? If this is so there is an allen key nut that you can loosen and this adjusts the spring tension, therefore how far it enters the wheel.

Is this by chance the Chinese copy? if so good luck getting it to keep time, where I work bought a few of these to sell, however keeping time just does not happen, also the pallets snap off and the click on the barrel has issues, they ended up scrapping them. They now only sell the Commiti clock of this style and they work very well, great quality.

3. Robert Gary

Robert Gary Member, NAWCC Board of Directors
    Director NAWCC Member

Feb 26, 2003
    Male
    Southern California
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, where the pallets engage the wheel. Do you mean the Allen nuts on the swinging ball arms?

I have been told that this is a British reproduction.

4. JimmyOz

JimmyOz Registered User

Feb 21, 2008
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, if you loosen it the whole thing will rotate, however best mark it before you start so you have a reference point. If it is a little to far it will stop the clock as it will not release the pallet, then if not enough the pallet will not engage and be aware that the wheel will most likely start to spin. I did get it to run for a few days, however getting the arms to adjust the time is near imposable. If I had weeks to work on it I may have had some luck, however it would need to be re-engineered. As I said the Commiti clocks are made well and they are made in England (well that is what the Boss said) they are not cheap, however an antique of the future. If you have a clock shop near you that stocks Commiti, maybe go and have a look to see it in action and this may help you to work on the one you have?

Sorry to sound so negative, however I have been there with this Chinese clock and don't want to go back.

Anyway best of luck with it and just post here if you have any question.

Actually I might have a look at both of these tomorrow at work and see if I can see why one works and the other one does not.

5. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Those were also sold by ProClocks. The grasshopper escapement is fascinating to watch.