Harder Disc Pendulum Copy

pahel

Jul 26, 2008
Country
Hi all,
I'm still concerned to complete my Harder Base with short columns (interesting marriage of young and old) with an appropriate movement and pendulum.
I've found a movement eventually but a pendulum -I'm looking for that early type without gallery- is not easy to come by or out of my price range.
Thats why I decided to create a replacement on my lathe - unfortunately without having the precise proportions. It is nearly finished, only the disc has to be turned from the inside, what I cannot do on my small lathe. The biggest problem I have is the threaded metal rod for the adjustment weights. I didn't think about the fact, that this will need a left threaded rod on one side, to move the weights in opposite directions. Now I have a left handed thread (M2,5) in the srew hole of one balance weight but I dont get a fitting rod. Does anyone have an idea how to manage this ?

DSC00992.jpg

Last edited:

Bod

Mar 10, 2019
Country
You need a lefthand thread die.
Difficult to find, but not impossible, at a cost.
Or can your lathe cut L/H threads?

Bod

DieteR

Sep 18, 2008
Country
Region
Hi pahel

a left hand thread cutter m2,5 costs less then 7€

searching with "HSS-Schneideisen M2,5 Linksgewinde (16x5mm)"

DieteR

pahel

Jul 26, 2008
Country
hello
thanks for answering, there is no possibility to cut threads on my lathe, therefore I was looking for a ready cut rod with a lefthand thread such as it was used for the other (righthand) side. Cutting a precise thread on a thin metal rod over such a long distance is not easy but as suggested I will buy a cutting tool "schneideisen" for outside threads and try my best.
regards
pahel

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
You may be able to chuck-up the die and mount the bar in a drilling chuck to keep them aligned while manually turning the headstock and advancing the stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phil Jensen
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre