Hard to believe

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Though I have not made any purchases for quite some time, I still peruse eBay.

Some interesting stuff. Most, to me, is not. Much is tired and badly reworked. Much is very badly overpriced. For example, there's currently a sleigh front with the wrong dial, movement, gong, and amateur glasses for a price that a good one would probably not be able to achieve.

Today, now I can say that I've seen everything. A very BAD 30 hour weight driven ogee with a BIN price of $2,900!

If he gets that price, I will gladly ship him at my expense every ogee I can find for him to sell.

Also, again a caution. It is an error to cite asking prices on eBay, which people often do, as a guide to value rather than what it sold for.

RM

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
May I recommend that interested parties go to eBay and do a sort on "antique clock" and order the return on the highest price + shipping in descending order? I think we will find literally hundreds of clocks whose asking prices have no semblance of reality in any fair market. Admittedly, there are some rare and or exceptional pieces listed, but does it make sense to list clocks at hundreds or thousands of dollars on eBay? Legitimate clocks of great value would seem to be better represented and sold elsewhere. Really a great number of clocks whose asking prices are several-fold over any reasonable market, IMO. Greater fool theory it seems.

Reactions: rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
Its everything, not just clocks. I use Ebay to help me price antiques, and i look at sold prices plus shipping, and then price my things around half of that. I price at half, because im in a small town and most people dont have a lot of money, and on top of that, i like a quick turnaround. Around here, cuckoo clocks really move fast if they arent a crazy price.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
Its everything, not just clocks. I use Ebay to help me price antiques, and i look at sold prices plus shipping, and then price my things around half of that. I price at half, because im in a small town and most people dont have a lot of money, and on top of that, i like a quick turnaround. Around here, cuckoo clocks really move fast if they arent a crazy price.
Yes, including shipping is important.

I have had some potential buyers, armed with iPhone or iPad, try and convince me that based upon eBay or an on-line auction result I'm asking too much. They always ignore the shipping cost and the RISKS of shipping.

I have found it variable if on-line auctioneers include the buyer's premium in their sold prices. Often not. Those charges are routinely around 25% with more going to at least 30%. Surprising how many don't realize there is a buyer's premium that needs to be figured in.

When someone in MA, NH, or ME shows me an auction result from a different part of the country, I point out they would had to have that object packed and shipped. Recently, the shipping prices have become, well, almost as horrifying as gasoline prices. I'm also finding that shipping can take a long time as the in house shippers or auction house go to shippers are often overwhelmed and understaffed. I currently have 2 small items in Upstate NY that so far have been languishing for 10 days while waiting for pick-up by the shipper!

Finally, liveauctioneers now automatically uses direct pay within 3 days of the closing of an auction unless a prior arrangement has been made and the house "turns off" the autopay. I usually forget to do that BEFORE the auction. Especially for weekend auctions, I often can't reach the house in time to arrange an alternative and the purchase is paid by my on-file credit card (which is required or they won't let you bid). For that, there is an added yet ANOTHER fee for the use of the card! When someone tries to tell me my price is too high, I often have to point out those other charges as well.

Finally, sometimes something sells cheap because of condition issues which may not be reported but are discernible in the posted pix. I have had a few people not understand they were comparing sometimes a significantly lesser object. If they debate the point, I thank them for their interest and suggest that they should have bought that one.

RM

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
The main thing i hate about anything online, is you have to rely on what is told by the seller. the one i like are the sellers that say nothing about the item other then to say "let the picture tell you about it" or only have one photo.

comet61

Aug 7, 2021
Country
The main thing i hate about anything online, is you have to rely on what is told by the seller. the one i like are the sellers that say nothing about the item other then to say "let the picture tell you about it" or only have one photo.
I agree. I have noticed that those that really don't know what they are selling and let the pics speak for themselves, have a tendency to sell a little more quickly or the seller will agree to a lower offer. I avoid sellers that are self-proclaimed "clock" experts.

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I agree. I have noticed that those that really don't know what they are selling and let the pics speak for themselves, have a tendency to sell a little more quickly or the seller will agree to a lower offer. I avoid sellers that are self-proclaimed "clock" experts.
I also look in the background of the photos, because if they have other clocks in the background, more then likely dabble in clocks. That being said, if its cheap, and they have clocks in the background, they either couldnt fix it or lots of parts are missing. its a crap shoot really.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I also look in the background of the photos, because if they have other clocks in the background, more then likely dabble in clocks. That being said, if its cheap, and they have clocks in the background, they either couldnt fix it or lots of parts are missing. its a crap shoot really.
I too like to see what is in the background. Can give one a sense of the seller. Sometimes there's some nice stuff including clocks. A lot of times, it's cheap tchotchkes and even family photos. There are some that look like real dumps.

I also check out what else they have for sale and what they have sold. That potentially provides some clues to their background as well.

I have found more than a few sellers who sell everything from soup to nuts. I suspect these are folks who do house calls or cleanouts and everything, good, bad and indifferent, winds up on eBay (or at the local flea market). Mostly bad clocks, but sometimes good ones. It's the luck of the drawn. Lots of folks around here like that.

Quite a few years ago, I bought one of my favorite clocks just that way. She was selling off a ton of stuff for a friend. Well, amongst the onslaught of things was an Atkins London model with a rare 30 day time and strike fusee movement. A MINT clock. It's posted on the fusee thread. By the way, the absolutely nicest seller I have ever dealt with. Only thing I every bought from her. Once the stuff was gone, she was done.

RM

Last edited:

demoman3955

Apr 9, 2022
Country
I too like to see what is in the background. Can give one a sense of the seller. Sometimes there's some nice stuff including clocks. A lot of times, it's cheap tchotchkes and even family photos. There are some that look like real dumps.

I also check out what else they have for sale and what they have sold. That potentially provides some clues to their background as well.

I have found more than a few sellers who sell everything from soup to nuts. I suspect these are folks who do house calls or cleanouts and everything, good, bad and indifferent, winds up on eBay (or at the local flea market). Mostly bad clocks, but sometimes good ones. It's the luck of the drawn. Lots of folks around here like that.

Quite a few years ago, I bought one of my favorite clocks just that way. She was selling off a ton of stuff for a friend. Well, amongst the onslaught of things was an Atkins London model with a rare 30 day time and strike fusee movement. A MINT clock. It's posted on the fusee thread. By the way, the absolutely nicest seller I have ever dealt with. Only thing I every bought from her. Once the stuff was gone, she was done.

RM
I found one guy buying his own stuff under another name. One item he had showed it sold, and the same irem is being sold with the same pictures, and same wording in the same order. Im guessing it was to try to get the price up. I reported it to ebay and they never even looked into it.

steamer471

NAWCC Member
Nov 2, 2013
Charlotte NC
Country
Region
I recently bought a Schatz Bermuda model for parts off the bay. I Didn't need anything but the winding arbor but for $30, including shipping, I thought I'd have a lot of spare parts. It came boxed well with the pendulum locked and suspension spring intact. I wound it, leveled it and it took off and has been running for two months keeping acceptable time. There are deals still to be made, local online only, I got this (pic attached) for $19.83 including buyers premium and credit card fees. Bragging a little :whistle: There was only one picture of the front with description of "wooden Mantel clock" and I took a chance. It's a Phillip Haas and Sohne circa 1910. There are deals still to be made, you just have to be more savvy than the next guy.
20220517_183159.jpg 20220517_183220.jpg

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Good del to teh educated and wary.

Complete sales are a good guide but sometimes odd stuff/ I once saw a camera I estaomated at 700USD seel for 12,800. Two parties had combined feed back of -50!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlegare72
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page
Hard Life for Wristwatches by Roy Gardner