Happy "H" day from pittsburgH!!

Discussion in 'Horological Misc' started by Rick Hufnagel, Jul 20, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Being from the suburbs of Pittsburgh, the loss of the H at the end always fascinated me. Well today this article pops up and I thought maybe someone would be interested in reading it.

Happy 'H' Day Pittsburgh!

How does this relate to horology? If you have a clock or watch, especially private labels, that are missing the H, it's most likely from 1890-1910. Now many people ignored the loss of the H, so not all are spelled that way.

Personally I've been searching for one particular Hampden private label watch since I first saw one a while back, spelled without the H. I've seen the same label spelled with an H as well.

It's interesting to spot it around town. On plaques and inside of old buildings, I've seen pool tables with the company and Pittsburg, pa. It's a fun oddity to keep an eye out for.

If anyone has any watches, or clocks that fit this theme, please post some! I have yet to add one to my collection, but I know they are out there! I would certainly like to see some! This pertains to watches and clocks, so I posted it here. I thought since there is such a diverse group of collectors here, something has to turn up!

Thanks for reading and have a great day!

musicguy likes this.
  2. musicguy

musicguy Moderator
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Jan 12, 2017
    New York State
    Country Flag:
    Here's mine without the h, but a different town

Plattsburgh is a city in and the seat of Clinton County, New York, United States.

PL 1888 B W Raymond 6.jpg

"Plattsburgh is sometimes historically spelled as Plattsburg, leaving off the "h". Many historic documents relating to the famous naval engagement between the United States and Britain in 1814 refer to the Battle of Plattsburg.[33][34] As a result, some history has been written using the latter spelling. For example, historian and former president of the Society of the War of 1812 in Illinois, John Meloy Stahl, published in 1918 "The Battle of Plattsburg: A Study in and of The War of 1812."[35]
    To this day, some signs (including U.S. and Canadian highway signs, and a sign at the Plattsburgh Amtrak Station, among others) point the way to "Plattsburg". There is also a bank with plattsburg bank inscribed at the top"
    wikipedia

Rob

Rick Hufnagel likes this.
  3. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor Sponsor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Good one Rob! I'm sure it effected many towns across the United States.