Hans Jendritzki "The Watchmaker and His Lathe"

Discussion in 'Horological Books' started by bchaps, Mar 25, 2009.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. bchaps

bchaps Registered User

Dec 16, 2001
    Mountain Top, PA
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Upon opening the Swiss marked package, I thought I purchased a "Little Golden Book"! (Remember those) My initial impression was "lot of money for such a thin book!" However, after reading Jendritzki for an hour or so, my impression changed. Actually, he is the first author to answer several questions about turning that have perplexed me.

Contrasted to Perkins "Bible" publication, Jendritzki is focused almost entirely on Geneva style lathes and accessories...particularly Bergeon models. One could justly claim the book is a Bergeon infomercial! This book however adds tremendously to the world of Watchmaker lathe information by describing accessories used for "fine turning". By that, I mean turning between centers. Perkins mentions center turning, but Jendritzki emphasizes it.

Now to the perplexing issues mentioned above. My Boley F1 has an eccentric tailstock with a variety of accessories. I could not see the reason for this piece of hardware. But yet when turning staffs, I encountered the problem of finishing the second pivot without risking damage. Jendritzki shows how an accessorized eccentric tailstock permits the second pivot to be completed right up to the material edge without any cutoff. To me, that is worth the $60 price tag.

So, if your focus is "machining" on a watchmakers lathe..definitely Perkins work is the right purchase. If however, you are attempting to learn centers turning, Jendritzki will aid you greatly.