Hans Felser Regulator

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Bill Cann, Jul 12, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bill Cann

Bill Cann Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Just acquired this regulator at an estate sale. Dial says "Hans Felser Leoben". Case is in nice shape. At some point the movement was serviced as there are a couple bushings. A quick search of NAWCC and the Internet turned up nothing specific. I did find a Felser Clock Shop in Leoben and emailed them. He kindly replied that Hans Falser was his great grandfather but he had no information on the clock. There are lots of markings on the case back. It was bundled with a top but didn't look original as it had nails and the case top had dowel holes.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill

Hans Felser Regulator.JPG Hans Felser Dial.JPG Hans Felser Case Back.JPG Hans Felser Movement Back.JPG Hans Felser Waren-Lager.JPG Hans Felser 1442.JPG

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Leoben is a city in central Austria. Felser is most likely the retailer of your clock.

IMO, the movement looks German as opposed to Austrian.

We have contributors who can identify unmarked German movements (and some unmarked Austrian movements) and they should be along shorty.

Regards.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    The stenciled Star of David mark on the back of the case looks like that of Adolf Stern in Vienna. I am away from my books and using a public computer (mine is broken) and so cannot tell you more about Stern, but you can look with the search icon at the top of the page. He has come up here before.

JTD

4. Bill Cann

NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Thank you, JTD and new2clocks for the info and search terms. I have worked on a number of tall case and shelf clocks. Just beginning to learn about regulators with this one, and a Junghans with B07 movement.

5. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    Hi, Bill!

This movement was made by the Austrian branch in Komotau "Schlenker & Kienzle" in the early 20th century.
    Later I'll look for a similar case.

BR, Tatyana

6. Bill Cann

NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Thank you, Tatyana. That gives me more items to research and learn from.

Bill

7. tarant

tarant Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Neurohorologist ;)
    Wroclaw
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And the case was made by Adolf Stern from Vienna. He had a case manufactory in Triesch.

8. Tatyana

Tatyana Registered User

Jan 2, 2016
    Female
    Saint Petersburg
    Country Flag:
    I will correct myself:

I think this movement was made in the late 1890s. I draw this conclusion on the basis of Kienzle's movements with rod gongs,
    The first serial number movement Austrian Kienzle with rod gongs - 91839
    (rod gongs used since 1899).

Here are two similar cases:

54_Х00.JPG 75_030.jpg Hans Felser Regulator.JPG

9. Bill Cann

NAWCC Member

Mar 26, 2019
    Tatyana, tarant,
    Great info. Very nice clock pictures, they are very similar. I really like the top pieces on them.

In summary, I have an Adolph Stern regulator probably from Triesch with a Shlenker & Kienzle movement made in Komotau from the late 1890's. The "Hans Felser, Leoben" on the dial was the retailer.

Thank you to all who have commented.
    Bill