hands

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by derekandrosa, Jun 13, 2006.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. derekandrosa

derekandrosa Guest

hi,I'm new to this forum and to clocks. i received a 400 day kundo , used and unworking from a friend. I bought nawe suspension springs and got the pedullu m working ,but, no sooner did the minute hand stop setting and only stays at 1/2 past or on the hour . it falls when set elsewhere.
    the gears move but i don't know how to get the hand to stay where i set it. i do not wish to spend any money to make this one and only work. if i get it going it would be a great hobby worth investing and learning, but, if not,i'll watch the pendullum mspin and tell time else where.
    the hands set until i got the balls hung and then it wouldn't move the hands ,even after many hours of spinning and engaging the escape wheel.
    it flutters on cue everything works right except the hands wouldn't move . after many resettings of the time and starting, with no hand movement the hands just stopped setting ang fall, the
    hand gears spin.what to do ?

2. derekandrosa

derekandrosa Guest

hi,I'm new to this forum and to clocks. i received a 400 day kundo , used and unworking from a friend. I bought nawe suspension springs and got the pedullu m working ,but, no sooner did the minute hand stop setting and only stays at 1/2 past or on the hour . it falls when set elsewhere.
    the gears move but i don't know how to get the hand to stay where i set it. i do not wish to spend any money to make this one and only work. if i get it going it would be a great hobby worth investing and learning, but, if not,i'll watch the pendullum mspin and tell time else where.
    the hands set until i got the balls hung and then it wouldn't move the hands ,even after many hours of spinning and engaging the escape wheel.
    it flutters on cue everything works right except the hands wouldn't move . after many resettings of the time and starting, with no hand movement the hands just stopped setting ang fall, the
    hand gears spin.what to do ?

3. Robert M.

Robert M. Registered User

Nov 20, 2004
    Could be one of two things Derek.Some movements have a tension washer behind the Cannon Pinion.These have a tendency to disappear ocassionally when disassembling the movement.Is there one behind your pinion?I'm not sure about a Kundo but some movements have the Cannon Pinion crimped slightly to apply tension to the center arbor.Without one or the other methods your minute hand is doomed to freefall because of the lack of a retention means.I'm sure one of the 400 day sharpies will chime in and let you know exactly what your particular movement requires but the above mentioned methods are the most common means of retaining the minute hand.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

4. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Bob is right, you need friction to engage the motion works to drive the hands. It also could be the cupped washer on top of the minute hand is missing, or the pin holding it all together is not there.
    Harold

5. derekandrosa

derekandrosa Guest

hi and thank you. when i look in between the back of the face and the front plate for the works at the gears for the hands i do see a black washer on the shaft connecting it to the cannon. the hands move forward and back at the face and when it freefalls the gears behind the face plate also move. it is as though they are not connected to the main movement. how do i remove the face to check the cannon connection?there are 3 studs with small rods going through on the movement cover plate that seem to attach the face , are these screwed or are the rods locking pins . turning them doesn't seem to work and trying to pull them out neither.
    I have not tried to use force because I don't know how they work.

6. Robert M.

Robert M. Registered User

Nov 20, 2004
    I believe they are just retaining pins Derek.Just get yourself a pair of needle nose pliers and give each pin a tug.Sometimes the pins can be a bit stubborn but they will come out.Make sure you save them.Not that they are valuable but if you don't have a pack of spare pins you may have a problem.
    Try kinking that tension washer a bit more.That may be all that it needs.You don't have to put the dial back on to test your minute hand.just reinstall it on the exposed motion works and give it a try.Also take note of Harold's great advice and check and see if you're missing a dial washer or retaining pin or maybe even the hand nut at the end of the minute arbor.If it seems to work OK then you can put your dial back on.Of course you,ll have to remove the minute hand again in order to do that.Good luck correcting your problem.
    Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

7. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The relationship between these components is quite critical, as too much friction will stop the movement and not enough will give the results that you have. I think you can solve your problem with

A. Extra very thin washer on top of the minute hand or

B. Make sure that the nut or pin is on the shaft holding the minute hand.

Some of these use a nut to secure the minute hand, and others use a taper pin. Which do you have?
    Harold

8. derekandrosa

derekandrosa Guest

Thank you all,with your help my clock ran for twelve hours last night. now I just need to slow it down( 6 minutes fast). there was no washer infront of the hand ,and, a hole with no pin.I got creative to get started , now i'll look up the correct parts and purchase. This is my first clock and thanks to your help it seems successful.
    thanks